Frozen Bananas - a childhood memory

Reaction score
HAHA. I tried doing this ONCE. I think I messed it up and it tasted horrible. But I will have to try again. It would be awesome to do with my daughter.

Reaction score
I love frozen bananas! They really do taste so much better when frozen, especially if they are dipped in chocolate and of course covered in nuts. I just made a few a couple weeks ago for my nieces and they all had a different flavor for their bananas, chocolate, strawberry syrup, caramel and white chocolate! I guess they were delicious because they ate them right up in an instant!

Reaction score
It seems like i've missed out on my childhood years s this is something i have never done...it's the first i am hearing about frozen bananas...it sounds yummy though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That does sound simple and quick. You could probably do the same thing with strawberries or apples for a nice summer treat.

Reaction score
This sounds really good. I am no stranger to frozen fruit. One of my favorite frozen fruits are grapes!

Reaction score
The Flower Lollipops thread set me to thinking. I remember as a kid my mum used to freeze bananas (we lived in Australia at the time) and we would eat these like ice-lollies. They were, I seem to remember, fantastic:

images

She also used to dip them in chocolate and roll them in nuts before freezing which was an extra special treat! I was wondering if anyone else has any different ideas for quick and nutritious snacks using produce from the garden?
Great idea and one I had never even thought of. Yay for your mom! I am going to try these this weekend with my children. They love bananas and the thought of dipping them in chocolate is heavenly. Another good idea would be peanut butter and then chocolate chips.

One fruit we do freeze is grapes. They are so delicious and very refreshing especially here in Florida where it's really hot most of the year. We also use frozen grapes in a glass of wine. I like my wine chilled but hate the thought of putting ice in my glass so this does the trick!
Great ideas, thank you for sharing! :)

Bee

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I've never tried dipping frozen bananas in chocolate or caramel syrup but I do store bananas that I want to keep from going bad in the freezer.Dipping the frozen bananas in chocolate does sounds really good though.I may have to try doing that in the near future since I always keep bananas in my household.I like to freeze them to keep them longer because I make alot of banana smoothies.I am weight training so freezing the bananas for smoothies are really convenient for me.I add my honey,peanut butter,chia seeds and vanilla almond milk to make my favorite smoothies.I enjoy the sweetness that the frozen bananas give off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would do this as a child too. I would dip the bananas in chocolate then freeze them. Take them out a few hours later and they were a great dessert. They are much healthier than other desserts too. You can also add nuts. I never tried adding other toppings such as coconut or sprinkles as I don’t know how they would taste frozen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
This sounds very good. With chocolate and nuts. I will give it a try for sure. Even though it is winter here i am from Serbia and here is all messed up like in Russia. Some of us who are considered to be of Slavic ancestry behave in a not so ordinary fashion. So with first snow i believe i will have these instead of hot tea. Now i just need to buy some bananas and the sticks that are not so easy to find here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not frozen bananas, but I do have a very very simple recipe for a healthy and delicious treat for things from your garden.
You just need:
Strawberries
Plain Yogurt
Honey

Place as much yogurt as you'd like in a bowl, then mix in about a tablespoon of honey. Stir it well. You can use this yogurt as a dip for the strawberries, it's delicious!

The yogurt can be variable, it doesn't have to be plain if you want flavored yogurt it works just as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The fruit that reminds me of my childhood is mango! Pickled mangoes with a bit of salt, flake chili pepper, and a bit of vinegar and then put them on a stick like a lollipop. Those were mouth-watering till this day for me and always remind me of my childhood on the beach with my family.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The fruit that reminds me of my childhood is mango! Pickled mangoes with a bit of salt, flake chili pepper, and a bit of vinegar and then put them on a stick like a lollipop. Those were mouth-watering till this day for me and always remind me of my childhood on the beach with my family.
I'm not usually much for mangoes but that sounds crazy good. A lot of different flavors all over the place. Exactly what is it like? It's hard for me to imagine what pickled mangoes is like, let alone with salt, chili pepper, and vinegar on it, too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
How do you make this? You slice mango in chunks? How big is enough? Put them in a jar and then add some salt, chilli and vinegar? Do they need to be covered with water ? I want to make these but I wasn't able to fully understand the thing you do here and I wouldn't like to miss out something.

Anyway, what taste does it have? Salty, sour, hot and sweet? That sound insanely good :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How do you make this? You slice mango in chunks? How big is enough? Put them in a jar and then add some salt, chilli and vinegar? Do they need to be covered with water ? I want to make these but I wasn't able to fully understand the thing you do here and I wouldn't like to miss out something.

Anyway, what taste does it have? Salty, sour, hot and sweet? That sound insanely good :)

I don't know how to make them as I had only eaten them when I was a child in Thailand. But I think your idea sounds fantastic! Cut them in big enough pieces and marinated them with salt, chili pepper, vinegar and water to taste sounds very close from what I remembered. Maybe you can Google for a recipe? And you are right, they were insanely good that is why I remembered :)

Ask a Question