Frozen Compost

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4/5
Country
United States
Looking for tips about what to do when your compost is frozen! I keep piling things on the top but then I give up because it doesn't look like it's working.

I'm thinking maybe I'm not doing it right in the first place, it's suppose to create its own heat right? I have a bin made from 4 old picket fences, each side about 3' long. In the warm months it seems to work great.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I would suggest covering it with something like and old carpet or polythene or something. It certainly is not going to work when it is frozen and it needs to work to generate the heat. I would not worry too much, my heap is just sitting there, doing very little at the moment, it is just too cold. Give it a few weeks and once the sun begins to shine (if ever) it will begin again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Impossible to keep warm in your Zone 5. Leave it until warm weather appears. I have the same situation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Michigan is the same way, too cold and too misery to do any of that outside. Spring should come soon, and you can start your work again by just stirring them up a bit. Hang in there :)

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Pour hot water on the compost. Then immediately cover it with a thick insulator like an old blanket. The microorganisms responsible for decomposition will be activated and generate more heat for decomposition to continue. This should be done once in a while until conditions improve. Make sure the water is not too hot.

Ask a Question