The frozen tundra of Wisconsin

Reaction score
I have found that several things help a lot in W.I and MN. First step actually takes place in the fall. After cleaning up the beds or garden area, I plant my best garlic bulbs. Next I add grass and leaves and any kitchen scraps to the rest of my garden area, then after about a month of that I put black plastic over it all. That way in the "spring" when the ground is only slightly still frozen, I pull it back to reveal well composted grass and loads of worms.

But then we get to the reality of it, and this is what I did last year. We got the garden cleaned up, my husband cut the grass, added it to the beds, then raked up some of the leaves (the rest were still on the trees). I started adding kitchen scraps. I planted the garlic.

We were hit by an early dumping of ice and snow. We never got close enough to the ground to rake the rest of the leaves or cover the beds.

The snow was late leaving, the leaves and grass only slightly decomposed. I tried breaking up the ground in April to get my pea seeds in. No go. Thought about using a drill to put holes in the ground but the cord wasn't long enough. Thought about TNT, but was sure the neighbors would have a fit and I'd spend the summer in jail.

By mid March I was able to dig up some dirt, something I usually don't have to do, I just plant in the newly composted leaves and grass, but it was tedious. I lasagne garden for a reason.

Had husband get me some bags of organic garden soil, planted on top of the half frozen tundra, and covered the seeds with the bagged soil.

It's now May 3, and I'm just getting my second planting of spinach in. Asparagus has yet to make an appearance, but the peas are an inch tall. Garlic is about 8" tall.

Artichokes have gone through what they think is winter (I hope, planted seedlings in late April) so I hope will start to grow again for their 'second' season. There is only 1 plant left of the six I started. I really only planned to put 2 in the ground as they take a lot of space, but it started to hail as I got them in and didn't get the deer spray on fast enough and the resident deer ate all but one.

Broccoli, cabbage, and other cool weather crop seedlings will hopefully all be in by the end of the weekend, a month late, then in 3 weeks it will be too hot for any of them. I'll start new seedlings for the fall.

Next on my list of gardening activities will be searching property in Belize. ;-P

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have found that several things help a lot in W.I and MN. First step actually takes place in the fall. After cleaning up the beds or garden area, I plant my best garlic bulbs. Next I add grass and leaves and any kitchen scraps to the rest of my garden area, then after about a month of that I put black plastic over it all. That way in the "spring" when the ground is only slightly still frozen, I pull it back to reveal well composted grass and loads of worms.

But then we get to the reality of it, and this is what I did last year. We got the garden cleaned up, my husband cut the grass, added it to the beds, then raked up some of the leaves (the rest were still on the trees). I started adding kitchen scraps. I planted the garlic.

We were hit by an early dumping of ice and snow. We never got close enough to the ground to rake the rest of the leaves or cover the beds.

The snow was late leaving, the leaves and grass only slightly decomposed. I tried breaking up the ground in April to get my pea seeds in. No go. Thought about using a drill to put holes in the ground but the cord wasn't long enough. Thought about TNT, but was sure the neighbors would have a fit and I'd spend the summer in jail.

By mid March I was able to dig up some dirt, something I usually don't have to do, I just plant in the newly composted leaves and grass, but it was tedious. I lasagne garden for a reason.

Had husband get me some bags of organic garden soil, planted on top of the half frozen tundra, and covered the seeds with the bagged soil.

It's now May 3, and I'm just getting my second planting of spinach in. Asparagus has yet to make an appearance, but the peas are an inch tall. Garlic is about 8" tall.

Artichokes have gone through what they think is winter (I hope, planted seedlings in late April) so I hope will start to grow again for their 'second' season. There is only 1 plant left of the six I started. I really only planned to put 2 in the ground as they take a lot of space, but it started to hail as I got them in and didn't get the deer spray on fast enough and the resident deer ate all but one.

Broccoli, cabbage, and other cool weather crop seedlings will hopefully all be in by the end of the weekend, a month late, then in 3 weeks it will be too hot for any of them. I'll start new seedlings for the fall.

Next on my list of gardening activities will be searching property in Belize. ;-P
Good Lord. If I lived there I would starve to death. Here in Texas it is a 365 day growing season

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
What part of Wisconsin are you in? I have family way up north who were still getting snow a few weeks ago.

I'm luckily only a few weeks behind due to weather and with everything in raised beds they thawed faster than the actual ground so I didnt have to wait as long.

Reaction score
Here in northern MN there is still snow on the north side of hills. I have pushed the planting season when we have an early spring and end up covering plants many times to protect them from frost. My father waits till June 1st no matter what kind of Spring we have. Usually we are harvesting most things at the same time. This year for the first time I am going to wait until June 1st except for my lettuce and peas.

Reaction score
Sometimes I do question why I live here. Especially after the winter we just went through. However, the change of seasons is beautiful and every season does have something to look forward too. Actually, the summer storms, which I think almost everyone has to deal with, are more detrimental to the success of our garden than the temperatures.

Reaction score
I can't imagine starting lettuce and peas after June 1st, even when I was living up in the twin cities. Peas do not like hot weather, and I can't imagine they would produce much of anything in June. Lettuce would surely bolt fast in June.

I will be planting my tomatoes this week, but they will each be given a milk jug to wear, for warmth.

I can grow enough food to last a year, just have to be careful WHAT food I grow. There are things that grow here that probably can't be easily grown in the south.

The thread was created when I was disgusted with not being able to get my hands in the dirt, and in another thread someone mentioned the 'frozen tundra' and questioned how to garden in it. ;)

We have been eating asparagus for the past week, peas should be following soon.

Reaction score
Peas usually did fine until the first part of August. They were usually done producing before the plants gave out. I always plant both leaf lettuce and head lettuce. Leaf lettuce normally would hold out until the head lettuce was ready to start harvesting. I would also replant leaf lettuce the end of July / first of August and that provided lettuce well into September during a "normal" year.

Reaction score
During the very hot summer months, and in the winter, I grow my lettuce inside, under plant lights. Spinach too.

And in the summer I also eat a lot of dandelion greens. Pick them early to avoid bitterness. Loaded with nutrients, more than most lettuces.

Ask a Question