Do you find you no longer like frozen or canned vegetables?

Reaction score
I used to be big on eating (frozen) spinach, but two years ago about this time I discovered fresh organic spinach at my local farmer's market. Once I started eating that, I found I couldn't go back to the frozen spinach. I tried to grow my own last year, but picked a bad spot and only got a few measly leaves of spinach to show for it. So, I have to keep buying the fresh stuff now. Has anyone else here had a similar experience once you started eating fresh vegetables?

Reaction score
Absolutely! I went on a green juice fast and it totally transformed my tastes in about two weeks. The only things I eat from a can, now, are black beans and corn. Everything else just seems so lifeless and colorless. And you know that the nutrition has been mostly cooked out of the food.

Reaction score
I never was a fan of frozen spinach so I can't speak to that. I use frozen veggies (never did like canned) but when I can get fresh veggies at local stands that's the way I go! I feel very blessed to live in an area where many people farm and fresh vegetables are plentiful and cheap for several months throughout the year. At that time of year I can't get enough of the fresh stuff!!! Zucchini, tomatoes, sweet corn....oh my goodness, I have weeks to wait for this stuff yet, I must stop thinking about it! LOL

I have to say the thing I have noticed the most in this regard is applesauce. We have three apple trees in our backyard and each year I make my own applesauce. I've been doing this for 20 years or so, and I can't eat store-bought applesauce anymore!! It's not even a matter of accepting it when I can't have my own (I freeze it and it still tastes way better than store bought, even mid-winter) I just won't even eat it. I have called myself an "applesauce snob" on a number of occasions. :)

Reaction score
Yes and no actually. Unless the fresh veggies or fruit come from someone's home garden or a farmer's market, I have to disagree. Absolutely, fresh fruit and veggies grown the old-school way are best. But if it's a choice between the "fresh" produce in a supermarket or the best canned/frozen it's the latter every time. The "fresh" stuff will likely have been waiting to be purchased for weeks, whereas the best canned/frozen food is minimally processed, picked at the height of ripeness, and stored instantly. Ironically, this means that I can often find a fresher taste from a can or frozen package.

With that said though this also means reading labels to find the best canned/frozen products. For example Muir Hill make the best canned tomatoes, but you want to avoid the heck out of Monsanto's or anyone else who puts corn syrup or other unnecessary stuff in there. Yuck! You also want to avoid anything that's been cooked too much before being canned or frozen.

When it comes to buying spinach in particular frozen can actually be wiser if you're short on money because spinach is so watery. You get a LOT more spinach for your money that way. But if your financial state is such that you don't have to worry about that, then the fresh is what you'll probably prefer.

Reaction score
Oh I have never liked anything frozen. Peas are the only frozen vegetables I eat. I love fresh spinach. I just grew some lovely Greek spinach and I am waiting for more. The taste of fresh grown vegetables is really something. I can see why you don't want to eat the frozen stuff anymore. But I guess there are times when you have to make do with what you have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I prefer fresh vegetables, especially these that I grew on my own, but it doesn't mean that I don't enjoy eating canned vegetables anymore. I'm a huge fan of canned green peas and canned corn - it's just so yummy:D

Reaction score
The only vegetables I can eat from a can are corn and baked beans. Peas and green beans are disgusting canned but delicious when they're fresh.
I don't have room for a vegetable garden but I definitely buy fresh vegetables whenever I can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Canned peas aren't disgusting, it's very easy to make them really tasty. I always add mayonnaise to them and sometimes I also add a few slices of cucumber. It's so delicious. Now I'm hungry:p

Reaction score
I prefer fresh vegetables and always have, but I also grew up having a big garden (my mom grew a lot of different veggies and fruits.) I have no problem with frozen veggies, but I really do not like canned vegetables and never had a taste for them.

The only thing canned that I enjoy is creamed corn. I will stock up on cans tho a little just because they are good to have in emergencies. They came in handy when we lost the power for days after Hurricane Sandy, so I will always have some in my house but don't really enjoy them :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Neither fresh all the time except for frozen spinach is ok.

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of the frozen block type of spinach, but recently I started using the bagged stuff that you can pop in the microwave. That stuff seems quite a bit better. In fact, I can't really think of any canned stuff that I like better, other than beans, but the canned stuff makes for a great storehouse in the basement for when the power goes out, or if aliens invade the Earth and it's too dangerous to go out to forage......

Reaction score
I used to be big on eating (frozen) spinach, but two years ago about this time I discovered fresh organic spinach at my local farmer's market. Once I started eating that, I found I couldn't go back to the frozen spinach. I tried to grow my own last year, but picked a bad spot and only got a few measly leaves of spinach to show for it. So, I have to keep buying the fresh stuff now. Has anyone else here had a similar experience once you started eating fresh vegetables?

I love frozen vegetables. I don't use canned as much because I had some trouble with hypertension. Because of the added salt, I don't use canned.

Reaction score
I don't mind frozen vegetables, but I can not stand canned vegetables. I discovered in Iowa that they sell canned rice. That is one can food I would not like to taste.

Ask a Question