Florida Gardener

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Florida 9b
Country
United States
Hello i am a Florida gardener with an Ozark mountain background and enjoy new plants of all kinds i currently have many lilies, sega palms, cactus, and wildflower collections. I also enjoy vegetable gardening.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hello i am a Florida gardener with an Ozark mountain background and enjoy new plants of all kinds i currently have many lilies, sega palms, cactus, and wildflower collections. I also enjoy vegetable gardening.
Sounds like a great selection Dragonfly. We would all love to see some images:) I'm sure. Welcome .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)A warm welcome to you @Dragonfly29 ! It would be interesting to know what climate zone you are in. I grow many plants that people in Florida grow and it's great to be able to share information. I cannot grow cactus though because they all drown in the rainy season. Where ever you are, the people here are friendly, communicative, and helpful. I'd love to see pics of your wildflowers.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Maybe it was busy when you tried. I hope you try again. You can always ask Admin for help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Florida 9b
Country
United States
:)A warm welcome to you @Dragonfly29 ! It would be interesting to know what climate zone you are in. I grow many plants that people in Florida grow and it's great to be able to share information. I cannot grow cactus though because they all drown in the rainy season. Where ever you are, the people here are friendly, communicative, and helpful. I'd love to see pics of your wildflowers.(y)
I am in Florida zone 9b bordering 9a

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It is a vine, if you have a fence, it will happily grow on that. It is not an aggressive vine but really rather lazy. It won't start from seed generally so you will need to start with a cutting or small plant. The plants should be easily available in Florida, probably not at big box stores, but a good garden center should carry them. They love the heat and flower best when in mostly full sun. Be prepared, when they flower all the butterflies, hummingbirds, and other pollinators will flock to the vine. It is nectar/pollen rich. Mine does not flower year around, but flowers maybe 3 to 4 times per year. Good drainage, moderate to less than moderate water.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Florida 9b
Country
United States
It is a vine, if you have a fence, it will happily grow on that. It is not an aggressive vine but really rather lazy. It won't start from seed generally so you will need to start with a cutting or small plant. The plants should be easily available in Florida, probably not at big box stores, but a good garden center should carry them. They love the heat and flower best when in mostly full sun. Be prepared, when they flower all the butterflies, hummingbirds, and other pollinators will flock to the vine. It is nectar/pollen rich. Mine does not flower year around, but flowers maybe 3 to 4 times per year. Good drainage, moderate to less than moderate water.:)
Thanks for the advice i usually go for seeds so i might have run into dead ends looking for them. I have not seen any here but someone at the farmers market might know where to look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I prefer to grow from seed too, but most people in the US will tell you that the seeds are not viable and i am suspect if someone who is selling seeds for this plant in the US. Also in the UK the general agreement is that the seeds are sterile. I found a cutting for my vine in someone's garden near where i live and the vine looked like it was more or less growing wild there. My vine does produce viable seeds. I have not tried to grow them, but i have grown plants from the little volunteers that pop up from time to time. I have tried to send seeds to the US to see if people can germinate them though and no one has had success. I think this is because often tropical plants have seeds that need to be sowed within a short period of time, but i really do not know. I am the only one i know who has viable seeds except there is a person in Pakistan who grows the plant from seeds. My theory is that because the vine is native to Mexico esp the El Tejin region of Veracruz, my vine may be more closely related to the original plants, before people, and in some cases Mother Nature, started messing with the genetics. So i think your search for viable seeds in the US is only going to end in disappointment, believe me, i have tried. The vine is quite common in Florida and grows easily from cuttings, also the Garden Centers will carry plants because it is popular with gardeners who plant for pollinators.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ty, do you have any ideas why i cant upload any photos? I use my phone and internet seems to be running fine.

Are you using the photo icon above your post, or the "upload a file" tab below?
I post either via my Android smartphone or tablet, and use the upload file (from my gallery/documents/photos) without any problem.
Welcome, too! :)

Ask a Question