Greetings, olá from North Central Florida

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We are a recently married couple in Alachua County, FL who know virtually nothing about gardening but just purchased a house (move is 6 weeks away) and are very excited about building a garden - a really nice one eventually. You all have done some amazing things and we'll probably watch for a while to learn about all the amazing things.
Just walking through a gardening store....it's got us dreaming about what we can do with our soon-to-be-ours new big backyard.
I love birds, she loves flowers, we both love veggies. She's Brazilian, I'm from New Jersey. We don't know where to begin so here we are :) ...

Neila & Steve
High Springs, FL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
wow, thanks everyone for the nice welcome. Thank you for the congrats, Beth and Upsy (mind if we call you Upsy?). We have a LOT to learn before we get going on the garden, however. This is actually my first purchase of a single family home so I've never had opportunity to create a garden (and have always traveled too much to do so).
We're really jazzed about this. We're trying to read/watch everything we can but like anything new, there's SO much out there. So much that we really don't know where to start so it may be next year before we do anything (especially since we're not moving in until May). And we're a bit overwhelmed as we have a very large yard to work with. This is gonna be fun!
Thanks again everyone!
Neila and Steve

Attachments

• 025_Backyard.jpg
    025_Backyard.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Great to have you here, and congratulations on your recent marriage and house purchase. What a lovely big garden! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow that's a fantastic big yard and a blank canvas to work with! (y)
Being in Florida, you can do some manner of gardening year around, I imagine?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is quite large and this garden we hope to put in has 2 benefits: 1) the garden! 2) don't have to mow as much :) .....yes, we can do some manner of gardening year-round but we don't know too much about what yet. Frankly, if someone told us to plant tomatoes now, not sure we could do it, as silly as that sounds. So, lots to learn but we attended several local group meetups related specifically to gardening in Florida. One of the topics was winter crops.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh a local group will be a great resource!

@CrazyConure also lives in Florida and has been a busy vegetable gardener. I have no experience gardening in a climate like yours; we're lucky to have five months of growing weather each year. o_O

Ask a Question