How to kill grass in Florida?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good Afternoon.

I am new to this site and did not see anything pertaining to my situation.
I have a large area of St. Augustine (type) grass (about 400 s/f) that I need to kill to have new sod and a landscape redesign done.

I know of using Round Up Ground clear however that has to be done with a sprayer and with my bad hand and arm to go over that large of an area is impossible.

Basically I am looking for a ground clear that can attach to a hose and I can spray the entire area with the hose attachment sprayer.

Anyone know of such a thing?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some kill grass by placing tarps or black plastic over the lawn for about 8 weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I did this at my last house using the black plastic tarp method...A little slower acting than RoundUp, but it worked great. I don't recall how long I left it down for but it was less than 8 weeks, I'm sure of that. It may depend on temperature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
St Augustine like lots of sun. I'm pretty sure a tarp would kill it much faster than 8 weeks. No water would do it in pretty quick if you ate in a warm area.

Ask a Question