Florida Gardeners - I need help...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9or10
Country
United States
So I am a novice at this whole gardening thing and nobody I know does it really so I need some help. I made a garden last year in a "Garden Tower" and everything seemed to sprout from seed ok, but I overcrowded the container and nothing grew very large.

This year I made a 11'x5' garden bed squared off for the SqFt Garden method and had everything planned out perfect. Only one issue I can't get anything to sprout hardly.

I've planted: Mesculin lettuce, broccoli, bunching onions, brussel sprouts, sugar peas, arugula a few types of lettuce and kale.

The only things I've been able to sprout from seed are: Butterhead Speckled Lettuce, finger carrots and kale.

The butterhead lettuce sprouted in my indoor seed pod container, need to transfer them soon. Nothing else will sprout in the indoor container. The kale and carrots were directly sown in the outdoor garden.

What am I doing wrong? What should I try to plant? Is it just too hot still for some of these things?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I am a novice at this whole gardening thing and nobody I know does it really so I need some help. I made a garden last year in a "Garden Tower" and everything seemed to sprout from seed ok, but I overcrowded the container and nothing grew very large.

This year I made a 11'x5' garden bed squared off for the SqFt Garden method and had everything planned out perfect. Only one issue I can't get anything to sprout hardly.

I've planted: Mesculin lettuce, broccoli, bunching onions, brussel sprouts, sugar peas, arugula a few types of lettuce and kale.

The only things I've been able to sprout from seed are: Butterhead Speckled Lettuce, finger carrots and kale.

The butterhead lettuce sprouted in my indoor seed pod container, need to transfer them soon. Nothing else will sprout in the indoor container. The kale and carrots were directly sown in the outdoor garden.

What am I doing wrong? What should I try to plant? Is it just too hot still for some of these things?
It sounds like you planted too early and the soil was too warm. Please update your profile to let us know where you are located.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9or10
Country
United States
I think so, maybe I'll plant once weather cools a bit more. Any tips on stuff that should grow easy? I don't need an extra challenges. Types of lettuce that are easy? Any other Florida Winter crops I should try out soon? Thanks everyone!

P.S. On this link it recommends planting Arugula for example at "Sept-Mar" does that mean plant it at any time between those months? Is it better to plant it in September or closer to March? Obviously climate will have an effect on it, but if we assume normal weather for those months. Just curious because I see a lot of seed packets that have huge planting ranges, and sometimes they have multiple random months.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Florida 9b
Country
United States
Would love to see your garden tower. I also live in Florida and have had some trouble with gardening veggies. Are you using soil already there or did you buy soil? It has been a slow process for me to treat my soil so things grow better. Lots of fertilizers, soil testers to know what to add. Your lettuces im thinking are best for your tower but need to be in shade and best grown in winter. I have not had luck with broccoli, they need to be grown in winter in Florida and need excellent soil and lots of mulch. Peas and Brussels also in winter. I have had good luck with green beans, cow peas, collards, and cucumbers. I did have success this last garden with cabbage but it takes a lot of care. With a good watering system in place im going to try gardening in winter this time. I hear okra and sweet potatoes do well but have yet to try them. The old farmers almanac has good planting dates according to your zone. They also have good advice on vegetable rotation, some cannot be planted next to each other or when replanting in the same locations. Lots of fertilizers and bug repellent and mulching, the heavy rains constantly uncover the roots. Bugs are the main reason I have lost veggies that appeared to be growing well. When sprouting seeds a fluorescent light works well. Plants love fluorescent light.

Ask a Question