Native Gardener from NE Florida

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Just registered. I'm from Atlantic Beach Florida, part of Jacksonville. I've been gardening for about 7 years. It all started when I was trying to figure out what to do with patchy, shady areas of my yard where grass doesn't grow well. Long story short...I stopped mowing in those areas and mulched over them with leaves I collected from curb-side pickup in my neighborhood. I also started composting about the same time. Seems like every year I expand my mulchy areas, basically creating habitat for flora/fauna.

I've learned to appreciate native plants, AKA weeds and have adopted a policy to not pull so-called weeds and allow to grow and see how it fits into my little habitat zone. Some of my favorite include the Florida Betony, Spiderwort, Wood Sorrel...

I've found that these plants and many more are crucial to local pollinators. And to think some consider them a noxious weed. I also grow some traditional vegetable plants, such as tomatoes...for my own consumption, but most of what I grow is for the pollinators, for example I have some broccoli growing now, because the bees go absolutely crazy over the flowers.

I hope to add some photos later on...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I just joined last night and am in jax beach. Small world eh neighbor?

I have a friend in AB and pollination is an issue with him. Very odd because this has never been an issue for me. I didn't know it was an issue for people in general till he started gardening and I saw him pollinating by hand. This may be because I have an outdoor tool shed which attracts carpenter bees like no tomorrow. They're not really around so much now that it's 'cold' out but I see them coming to my basil flowers from time to time.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
And to think some consider them a noxious weed.

Welcome fellow native gardener!

Some may consider native plants to be weeds, but that's only because they don't have experience with them. Most native plants don't have weedy tendencies at all, and most can't spread if seedheads/seed pods are removed. Nothing is more weedy than an invasive non-native.

I have a friend in AB and pollination is an issue with him. Very odd because this has never been an issue for me. I didn't know it was an issue for people in general till he started gardening and I saw him pollinating by hand.

Pollination is generally not an issue, but it will become more and more of an issue as pollinator populations continue to decline. Native gardens are a way for citizens to restore a small piece of habitat in their own yards that can help local pollinators as well as animals of all kinds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! Great to have you here :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)HAH! It made me so happy to see your post. I also have a garden full of native "weeds" and plants for the pollinators and i also let the volunteers that pop up grow to see what they are. Sometimes i do not want to keep them (my garden is spacially challenged) but sometimes i do. There was a intriguing plant that came up a few months ago (in the middle of dozens other weeds) and it is growing beautifully. I posted a photo after it had a few leaves to a forum here and @Larisa thought it might be a Cacao tree. After some research, i think she is right. It does not grow to be enormous and it is in a perfect place so i am keeping it. I can't wait until it starts producing chocolate bonbons:LOL: I have noticed that the pollinators do seem to prefer the native plants over the imports. In you climate zone you will have many beautiful native weeds to grow and your garden will be alive with pollinators for your enjoyment. So, a very warm welcome to you @roadrunner(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi roadrunner! :) Good to have you here.

I have a similar attitude...anything here that has pretty/ interesting flowers and foliage gets to stay, and I leave the wild tangle of berry vines and other "weeds" undisturbed at the back and sides of my yard for birds, garden snakes, pollinators etc. And apart from vegetables, most of what I've planted has been native.

Luckily I do not live in a neighborhood that prizes pristine lawns and sterile flower beds. :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

I have a friend in AB and pollination is an issue with him. Very odd because this has never been an issue for me. I didn't know it was an issue for people in general till he started gardening and I saw him pollinating by hand. This may be because I have an outdoor tool shed which attracts carpenter bees like no tomorrow. They're not really around so much now that it's 'cold' out but I see them coming to my basil flowers from time to time.
No problems here with pollination, actually I have tons of pollinators, including honeybees, but also many native bees. I am curious if the honeybees are from a local hive or wild, but nonetheless they are here every year. The Florida Betony, which is considered a major weed by many, attracts them in the hundreds. I wonder if your friend weeds this plant out of his garden. They also love the spiderwort. Here are just a few pics of pollinators from my yard

Ask a Question