Florida gardeners, i need help identifying this lily

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Florida 9b
Country
United States
This has been on my property the 5 years now and has not bloomed. It spreads well and the bulbs are gigantic anywhere from 4-6" radius. I have seen them in other folks yards but never bloomed either. Would like to find out what i have here. Maybe its not even a lily. The leaves and bulbs are what make me think so.

Attachments

• 20160915_103030.jpg
    20160915_103030.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 282
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks kind of like an amaryllis - do you have it somewhere where it can get enough sunlight? Maybe it's too shaded to bloom? Or fertilizer? I'd try a bigger pot and some fresh soil so that it can build up the resources it needs to bloom.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a Swamp-lily (Crinum sp.) in the Amaryllis Subfamily & Family (Amaryllidoideae, Amaryllidaceae).
This is likely the American Swamp-lily (Crinum americanum), native to the southeastern United States, though there are other exotic species and hybrids that are often grown as ornamental garden plants, and also occasionally naturalize.

Perhaps the plants mentioned have not bloomed due to insufficient sunlight. Try planting some of the bulbs in a sunnier location.

Ask a Question