Does anyone know what is doing this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes it is. I just don't remember seeing these holes before... Although I did just start trying to grow flowers so maybe I just never noticed...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I would guess it to be squirrels too. I have actually seen squirrels digging to bury something or retrieve something. Some of my containers have holes were squirrels have dug at the roots too many times that I started putting in sizable rocks to prevent further damage to my flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I noticed that this morning as well, they've gotten into my flowers a little. They must be made since I haven't refilled my bird feeder. :cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am seeing a lot of people thinking skunks, but definitely looks like squirrels. If your squirrels are anything like the ones I have in my yard they will store food in your garden and yard. They will dig it up and eat it when hungry and put food back in the same holes for storage. I have some very big squirrels in my yard too. They look like they have little squirrels gym memberships.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well we do have skunks but my yard is fully fenced and surrounded by yards with dogs, all sides, which is why I was a little clueless, I'm just glad it isn't snakes. We have the same gym going on in our yard peachdejour. What about like cayenne pepper or some such thing around the flowers, would that keep them away?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm not sure. They started doing it less when I started tying my dog out back. She is currently keeping out a fat ground hog, the squirrels and a whole flock of birds every afternoon. I think they tease her because she looks all kinds of disturbed out there sometimes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought about it but Buster is my night noise blocker. I don't think I could sleep without him snoring on his wooby.

Ask a Question