Does anyone know what is doing this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am finding little holes dug around the yard and flower garden and wondered if anyone knew what is making them? They seem to tunnel in a few inches and then gone. Thank you for any insight.
IMG_3561.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Is the tunnel truly gone, or you just can't see it beyond a few inchs? Voles make tunnels all over and come out of the ground like that in places, it could be skunk or something digging down for insects/grubs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it's gone. I've found similar holes in my flower bed and other spots in the yard and they seem to only be at max a few inches down. I have a fenced yard and I have dogs on all 3 sides of me, including my own yard so I'm assuming whatever it is is nocturnal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Welcome Mike. Nothing is stupid. I must admit I do feel a bit silly as I have trouble just working out the forum. Sometimes I can work it out ok and sometimes I can't. No one seems to mind or maybe doesn't notice but everyone is friendly and I really do enjoy the garden talk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Deborah, I think this is in the wrong place... I think you wanted the "hello" post from Mike in the intro section. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If the holes are just a few inches deep and not actually tunnels, I'd think @Everbrown is probably on the right track with the skunk theory. Skunks are nocturnal. So are raccoons and they will also dig in dirt and mulch for edibles. Although 'coons tend to dig larger, wider holes.
Not sure what other critters you have down there, but they sure look like something is digging down just far enough for grubs or beetles.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Do you have armadilloes in the neighborhood? Those little armored critters make deep but narrow holes that can twist an ankle in a second (voice of experience). The only cure is getting rid of the grubs that they want for snacks. We use a commercial product that takes out grubs, and our 'dilloes have moved to the neighboring field :)!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a skunk. If it were an armadillo there would be much more damage and coons dig a different type of hole

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh joy. So how do I encourage this critter to move on? If hate to leave my pup outside for the night and I don't think they've been here long, it started a week ago I guess

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh joy. So how do I encourage this critter to move on? If hate to leave my pup outside for the night and I don't think they've been here long, it started a week ago I guess
You sure don't want to leave your dog out at night. Trust me, you don't want the aftermath of your dog mixing it up with a skunk. Fixing a few little holes is nothing in comparison.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Even without those holes I think a pup needs to be kept indoors.

We have issues with the mongooses who do that here specially with the sweet potato patch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do y'all have skunks in Mississippi,I use ta live in south Louisiana years ago,early 90's,don't remember seeing any.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't know about Mississippi, but up north here skunks are especially active looking for food in early spring after being dormant all winter and the foraging and digging activity slacks off as food becomes more abundant.
Personally, I'd just live with the holes - leaving your dog out overnight isn't a good idea because skunks are slow and easy prey for dogs, so while your dog might kill one skunk,
a: there are probably multiple skunks.
b: it would sort of suck if it was a mama skunk and babies were orphaned.
c: de-skunking a dog is right up there with having a root canal or cleaning the toilet. :sick:

There are many products that claim to repel wildlife. I don't know which if any are effective, though. Treating your lawn for grubs would remove the food source so you could try that. When I first bought my house I had groundhogs, skunks, raccoons, 'possums and wild turkeys as regular visitors. But once I got the fence up, the presence of my three dogs taught the wild critters to stay away. (I'm sort of sad about that but also not, because I hated when the dogs killed an innocent animal just going about its business.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just can't believe it's a skunk or armadillo. I walked the fence this weekend and there just isn't a spot for them to get through. Any chance it's squirrels?
And yeah, I couldn't leave my furry outside for the night, I wouldn't be able to sleep without his snoring. :sleep:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looks like squirrels to me. That's a very close-up pic you posted, and the hole is showing much larger. Would you say the hole is roughly the size of a golf ball? If so my bet is squirrels foraging early in the morning trying to find that last acorn he/she buried.

Ask a Question