Do You Garden Alone?

Reaction score
Every year I compile this big "To Do" List of things that I want to do in the garden the following year. Normally its quite a few things because I get excited and I want to do it all at one time. For example, in 2014 I would love to get a bee hive as well as start on an aquaponics adventure. Not to mention now I am all worked up about a butterfly garden and attracting butterflies thanks to @ChanellG . She has so many neat posts on her butterfly babies it is hard to resist. Of course I also want to expand our fruits and berry bushes. I would love to plant blackberries, raspberries, more grapes, strawberries and of course a few fruit trees as well. (Can you see that I am like a kid in a candy store?)

My husband just sits back and shakes his head at all of my ideas because he knows he will end up doing all of the brute work. He will till the garden, build anything that needs building and if we get this aquaponics project started he will be taking care of the fish (the last time I had fish I killed them all!).

Needless to say, he is not as keen on my project ideas as I am. That leads to my question: Do you garden alone or does your better half or another person help you out?

Reaction score
So far I always garden alone, but if I ever get married to my current boyfriend then he might help me with the gardening in the future :) His dad is a professional gardener, but my guy is very clueless when it comes to gardening sadly. So he might not be of great help, but maybe if I work my charms on him he might help me with the tough stuff, like for example digging stuff and so on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Usually, I garden alone. Taking care of my beautiful miniature roses isn't difficult, so I can do it by myself. To be honest, I'm pretty possessive of my plants, so I don't want anybody to touch them:p It was really hard for me when I had to go on a trip for a week and leave them with my mother;) As for working in our garden, I sometimes ask my boyfriend for help, because he is much stronger than me:)

Reaction score
Ah yes the ' To Do List' - I have one of those everyday, in my mind, let alone every year, and they always seem quite achievable initially, but hard as I try, its not often that everything on that list gets achieved, normally because the days just aren't long enough, but could also be, because before I've managed to achieve the first half of my list - my mind is already planning the next list :D My husband doesn't just shake his head though, he laughs and says "you make your lists far too long, making them shorter would make them more achievable" - think he could be right there :)

I think it would be safe to say that I garden alone and tend to be the one that does the majority of the work, and do actually prefer it that way, safer for the plants too :D particularly as my husband doesn't enjoy gardening very much, he will on occasion have a little dabble in the vegetable garden, but would much rather do things like build walls and benches for me, than get involved with plants. Although he does, always do the rotavating or rototilling as you call it in The States, for me, but I think, that is mainly because he is worried as to what might happen to 'his' rotavator, after watching some of my previous attempts, which resembled something out of a comedy sketch - as the rotavator always ran off with me :D

Reaction score
Zigs - should we be taking that as a compliment ?

I did also just realize, that of course, none of us actually garden alone, because we always have the company of butterflies and other flying insects, birds and mammals of all descriptions, plus the company of our plants, who always seem to be very obliging, should we feel like having a natter or even a little rant :D

Reaction score
:D I hope so :D

Ah well, in that case, if you will excuse the girlie comment, I think that its really sweet of you, to think of us all that way and let us join you in your garden :)
It was only because, now that I know that you are a Snapdragon you might have meant - we were all a pain the a..:censored:

Reaction score
I prefer to garden without other people around, at least in my own space. I've helped friends who were getting swamped with work but I prefer the quiet of my own little slice of heaven. The birds, the insects are my company as was my big dog before he died. Its a very spiritual thing for me and I don't want to clutter the peace that I find in the garden with someone talking to me.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The garden is the place I go to be alone with my thoughts and the universe. It is not often I ask for help in my space. Someone else cuts the grass, so I just need to keep the weeds down and plant what ever I desire. No one else in my family likes to garden so that works out very well.

Reaction score
I like the solitude of the garden, but I do have friends help me do some of the harvesting. Some have an interest and some do not but once they actually start picking things I always see big smiles. There is something so therapeutic about my garden time, but as to the payoff..I really like to share the experience.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I work alone in the garden.
My wife is disabled and not up to helping.
She'll sit out for a while on a nice day, and we'll chat whilst I work, and I blether with all the neighbours, but it's generally a solitary activity.
The only time I'm really quite insistent on solitude, is when I have my 5am cuppa in the greenhouse.
That's when I enjoy the peace and quiet, and contemplate which jobs need done next.

Reaction score
Gardening is a form of therapy. I do it on my own. If there is any exertion or "brute force" needed, i will get help for just that. I see my garden as a work of art and an expression of me.

It it does well, then it is an accomplishment under my belt.

Reaction score
My brother usually does all the brute work, but sometimes I do it myself because I'm quite handy :D My brother gets bored quickly when we get to the details so that's my part. I will try to drag my sister in law into gardening the following spring. I could use the help.

Reaction score
So far I always garden alone, but if I ever get married to my current boyfriend then he might help me with the gardening in the future :) His dad is a professional gardener, but my guy is very clueless when it comes to gardening sadly. So he might not be of great help, but maybe if I work my charms on him he might help me with the tough stuff, like for example digging stuff and so on.

Wow it is great that you have a professional gardener in the family! Kudos to you.

Usually, I garden alone. Taking care of my beautiful miniature roses isn't difficult, so I can do it by myself. To be honest, I'm pretty possessive of my plants, so I don't want anybody to touch them:p It was really hard for me when I had to go on a trip for a week and leave them with my mother;) As for working in our garden, I sometimes ask my boyfriend for help, because he is much stronger than me:)

Claudine I think I can relate to that. I don't like my husband to touch my houseplants.

I'm never alone in the Garden, I got you lot :)

And Zigs we are so happy to be right here with you!

Ask a Question