Do you find you no longer like frozen or canned vegetables?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
First item on the menu.......

Fish Fingers & Custard, followed by Jammy Dodgers :D

Reaction score
In the winter, canned veggies taste fine to me. Then, in the summer when we cook with garden-fresh vegetables, I think, "WHAT have I been missing!?" Then in a few short months, it's back to the can. (n) Fresh veggies taste so much more, well, fresh!

Reaction score
The only way I use frozen vegetables is when I add frozen kale to a soup or stew. Other than that, I am strictly a fresh vegetable lover. I understand that a lot of frozen vegetables have the same nutrients as fresh but the taste and texture just isn't the same.

Reaction score
I live for fresh veggies. I would rather use fresh vegetables from my own garden any day over canned or frozen vegetables. This isn't always possible however and I do have quite a few cans and frozen vegetables on hand. I use them in casseroles and other dinner dishes, but if we are having a vegetable as a side I really try to prepare those fresh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I grow most of my own vegetables and I grow enough to last until the next year so I have to can, freeze, dry or dehydrate most of them. My home canned vegetables are much better than commercially canned but there isn't much difference in my or commercially frozen vegetables. The biggest difference is in the fresh vegetables though. There is no comparrison between homegrown and grocery store whether it be asparagus to tomatoes to zuccinni.

Reaction score
Oh yes, I can't touch anything that has been in tins. Not just do I find the taste bland and usually full of sugar and other nasties like acidity regulators and preservatives, but I am also worried about the inner lining of the tins. You ingest that carcinogenic substance in commercial tins without even knowing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do not like canned veggies anymore...they are mushy and gross. I do buy freezer veggies all of the time because I don't produce enough to sustain the family for any real length of time. Gardening is just a little hobby I do right now as I don't have the space for a full grown garden. I buy a lot of fresh veggies, but if I know that it is something I can't stick in the freezer or use before it goes bad, then I will buy the frozen ones.

Reaction score
I used to do the very same, but then I saw a video on YouTube by ASAPscience which told that vegetables are frozen very quickly after they are picked, whereas 'fresh' vegetables still take a couple days to get to where you are. I guess you can try asking the farmers when they pick their vegetables, but I like sticking with frozen, as you can also just keep it in your freezer after you buy it. It is just more convenient.

Reaction score
For almost everything, I prefer fresh. But for some reason, I prefer canned green beans to any of the alternatives. I know I'm weird, haha.

Reaction score
Actually I love spinach but I cannot stand frozen or canned of it. Once you eat it fresh - or any veggie - its really hard to want to eat it any other way.

Ask a Question