Skip find

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Been lookin in the shops for some friends for Owcho with no luck. Found these in a skip yesterday :)
DSCI0075.JPG

Owcho is already lookin pleased :)

DSCI0074.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@zigs Please make sure you upload the pics when the last one is in flower.. I know they will be lookers. Mine hasn't been doing very well this year, as is everything else!:eek::cry:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Beverly Here is an image of a well used skip, probably where @zigs found his plants..:D

imgres.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's the one Alp :D

Owcho could do with some friends Larisa, he makes seeds every year but none of them have been fertile.
@zigs Owcho is looking very perky indeed:)

what's a "skip"?

He's not doing bad now, when I got custody of him from the last mrs zigs he was in a tiny pot and had been used as an ashtray :cautious:

Skip is like a dumpster but made of metal like the one Alp showed :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I always look at skip - wondering how people want to throw away lovely wood. Beautiful planks of wood, newly sawn and yet buried in skip.. and buckets. I'd love a bucket for my plants - strong, industrial and sturdy..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Great finds Zigs you got about 5 Mammillaria gracilis a couple of something I cant remember lol and owcho, I think he is a notocactus all though I could be wrong been a while since I read up or grew Cacti.... Gracilis are easy to take cutting just pick one of there heads off (y)and pot it in some sandy soil & keep dry till it roots;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, by the way, @Daren, why do you make our lives difficult by missing one r??? Hahahaha! And @zigs Have you finished repairing your old buildings then? Is that an aide de memoire? :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@zigs Oh thanks, i know skips as Dipsy Dumpsters and frequently they had wheels. We lived in Seattle on a steep, narrow, and cobblestoned street, and a favorite past time for rambunctious youth leaning toward naughty would be to let lose (at about midnight, mind you) a Dipsy Dumpster at the top of the hill with a big push. The DD would bounce off whatever cars were parked on the street on the way to the bottom of the hill and wow, did it make a lot of noise:eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, imagine if metal skips had wheels on :)

Ah, by the way, @Daren, why do you make our lives difficult by missing one r??? Hahahaha! And @zigs Have you finished repairing your old buildings then? Is that an aide de memoire? :D

Never finish repairing them, too many of them :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They look in need of some TLC - good job they found a home with you! Glad to hear Owcho has some friends now :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Cor, imagine if metal skips had wheels on :)
The Dipsy Dumpsters are metal too and the reason some of them have wheels is that some alley ways are too narrow for the trucks that come around to empty them so the DDs have to be rolled out to the street.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blimey :eek::D

Potted a few of em up :)
DSCI0076.JPG

Ask a Question