where can i find seeds online?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Southern Japan (11b)
Country
Japan
hey guys. i want to grow dragon fruit. i would appreciate any reputable websites that sell seeds. my country is off season and does not sell the fruit right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@pinkrose...there are so many online seed sellers in the world who are so excellent and who ship internationally, it is hard to know where to start, but i have a couple of suggestions. First, i would try to find an online seed seller in your own country where you would receive quicker delivery. Japan must have some online seed sellers. Do you have eBay Japan or Amazon Japan or Japanese equivalents? If this doesn't work perhaps a neighboring country would have seed sellers that carry tropical fruit seeds. The fruit doesn't need to be in season to purchase seeds or a plant. Do you know what the Japanese name for Dragon Fruit is? Then you could do a search for that name or Pitaya (which i think is either the genus or species botanical name). If you are not getting a response locally, you can look at pretty much the entire rest of the world with a search for "Dragon fruit Pitaya seeds online vendors" and should get a good response. Many seed sellers ship internationally,so you are sure to come up with something. Do you have garden centers/nurseries close to where you live? I would look in those places first, they may have the plants for sale. I don't believe the fruit is so rare that you will have a problem finding seeds for it. Most gardeners shop online vendors for seeds, so you will want to get started with the process:). It is much easier than you probably think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Southern Japan (11b)
Country
Japan
@pinkrose...there are so many online seed sellers in the world who are so excellent and who ship internationally, it is hard to know where to start, but i have a couple of suggestions. First, i would try to find an online seed seller in your own country where you would receive quicker delivery. Japan must have some online seed sellers. Do you have eBay Japan or Amazon Japan or Japanese equivalents? If this doesn't work perhaps a neighboring country would have seed sellers that carry tropical fruit seeds. The fruit doesn't need to be in season to purchase seeds or a plant. Do you know what the Japanese name for Dragon Fruit is? Then you could do a search for that name or Pitaya (which i think is either the genus or species botanical name). If you are not getting a response locally, you can look at pretty much the entire rest of the world with a search for "Dragon fruit Pitaya seeds online vendors" and should get a good response. Many seed sellers ship internationally,so you are sure to come up with something. Do you have garden centers/nurseries close to where you live? I would look in those places first, they may have the plants for sale. I don't believe the fruit is so rare that you will have a problem finding seeds for it. Most gardeners shop online vendors for seeds, so you will want to get started with the process:). It is much easier than you probably think.

@Beverly Thanks for your input! I did a quick research online and I saw many websites saying Ebay has plenty of scammers, and when I looked on Amazon there were so many negative reviews. I saw seeds for sale on Aliexpress too, but yet again people were saying to not trust them as they are all fake. Then I started getting skeptical on ANY online seed banks and just wanted advice on real websites I can trust. However, yesterday I went to my local garden store and I asked for Dragon fruit plants and they said they are all sold out right now, and won't get anymore new ones until June. So, I will wait until June.

P.S. The japanese name for Dragon Fruit is Dragon Fruit :) (Do-ra-gon fu-ruu-tsu)

Thank you again!

and @headfullofbees does your country not have google? I suggest you type in "does japan have google" to answer your question. ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
@Beverly Thanks for your input! I did a quick research online and I saw many websites saying Ebay has plenty of scammers, and when I looked on Amazon there were so many negative reviews. I saw seeds for sale on Aliexpress too, but yet again people were saying to not trust them as they are all fake. Then I started getting skeptical on ANY online seed banks and just wanted advice on real websites I can trust. However, yesterday I went to my local garden store and I asked for Dragon fruit plants and they said they are all sold out right now, and won't get anymore new ones until June. So, I will wait until June.

P.S. The japanese name for Dragon Fruit is Dragon Fruit :) (Do-ra-gon fu-ruu-tsu)

Thank you again!

and @headfullofbees does your country not have google? I suggest you type in "does japan have google" to answer your question. ;)
Welcome pinkrose, I am noted for sarcasm amongst those who know me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
must be all those bees:LOL:.

Hi @pinkrose...do you know what? You are exactly right about ebay, amazon, and similar. In fact i never use them myself but i know they are popular with so many people. I am in a rush right now, but i am going to put together for you a list of super reliable online seed companies that ship internationally, that i have used for years, etc. I am glad for the moment that you have found a source for Doragonfuuutsu seeds. June is not so far away and you will get some good fresh seeds so i think it is worth the wait. Give me a couple of days and i'll get back to you with some really good companies.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
There is a very good online seed seller in the UK that ships internationally www.chilternseeds.co.uk They have a good variety of fresh seeds and a surprising number of tropicals. I am not sure if you would be interested in purchasing seeds in the US but if you want references from there, let me know. I am thinking the closer to home the better, in terms of delivery time, cost, freshness of seeds. I know that Australia and New Zealand have some good seed companies but i have never used them because i can find good seeds much closer. If i were you, i would check out online seed companies in Japan, Australia, and New Zealand (ignoring all the ebay and amazon and similar hits that come up). Look at the websites to see if they are established companies. @DeborahJane lives in Australia and may know of some online seed companies there and possibly New Zealand that are reliable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Southern Japan (11b)
Country
Japan
@Beverly thank you so much! I visit the states sometimes as i have family there so i would love references for US websites. I checked out chilternseeds.co.uk and I love it, thank you. The website never came up when I was researching so that was a GREAT help!! The japanese websites I looked on was ALL sold out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Here is another website in the UK that i have used with success to purchase hard to find tropicals. If i recall correctly, their seeds are conservatory grown and i've always received good germination results.

www.jungleseeds.co.uk

And here are 3 websites in the US that will never let you down. All three grow their own seeds and live on farms and not in cubicles. Onalee seeds is located in Florida, Horizon herbs is located in Oregon, and Everwilde is in the mid-west. Everwilde offers organic, non-GMO seeds.

www.onaleeseeds.com
www.horizonherbs.com
www.everwilde.com

As others pop into my head, i'll add them to the thread. Oh yes, there is a tropical fruit site as well; i'll have to look up their name and address.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The best thing to do is not even to order the seeds online since there is no quality assurance. You might import plant diseases from a different region to your garden. The safest bet with online seed companies is to limit yourself to reputable seed companies like Monsanto or Seminis or better still, government agricultural institutions of the countries you want to source the seeds from. The other alternative is to save seeds of the fruits you consume, dry them and package them for future planting.

Ask a Question