Need help finding a fuel tank

MrB

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy, newbie here and I'm kind of in a pickle. I picked up an old (2004) MTD Yard Machine 31cc cultivator from my dad that had been sitting for years outside his garage. Fine and dandy, washed it off, cleaned up the carb and it runs good. Problem: the gas tank is totally destroyed from sitting in the sun. I've tried to weld it back together but as fast as I fix one hole, another pops open. Problem 2: no more tanks are available from MTD or any other source I can find. I even tried a place called Harald's for a used one but no good there. So,,, I'm hoping someone has an idea where I might find one, new or used. Or, how about a tank that will work? Don't care what it looks like as long as it does the job and doesn't leak. Ok, it's a 2004 MTD Yard Machine 31cc Cultivator 21A-121R900 Fuel Tank #753-04306 (unavailable) Any and all thoughts appreciated :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I am utterly of no use to you, have on idea of what you are even talking about :ROFLMAO::LOL: , but.....
.....Welcome!!! to the forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I cannot source tje number but ebay search "2004 mtd cultivator fuel tank" gives a bunch that may be cobbled together. Most of those tanks are some sort of a pinch fitting so you may need to come up with some rubber tips on a custom aluminum bracket.

MrB

Reaction score
Country
United States
I cannot source tje number but ebay search "2004 mtd cultivator fuel tank" gives a bunch that may be cobbled together. Most of those tanks are some sort of a pinch fitting so you may need to come up with some rubber tips on a custom aluminum bracket.
Hmmm, yeah that looks like the 753-04606 tank but it says it's supposed to work for the 753-04306 too. I've seen that one before and wondered if it would be close enough to work and like you said, might have to come up with something for the pinch fitting. Easy enough there I suppose so just might have to try it and find out.
Funny thing in that pic. It says it's a new tank but it sure looks like a used one to me. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Biggest problem with old plastic is oxidation. Shrinking. That nylon is no exception. Fuel lines might need an upsize or a different grommet if they are of that type.

MrB

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah that's why I really want to replace the tank. I need it now though as I'm in the middle of cleaning all the old bark out of my flower beds and such so I can lay about 12 ton (I've got a double lot house with a huge yard!) of 1.5" rusty granite everywhere. Guess I'll try to make it work for this 5 minutes, order that 753-04606 tank and keep my fingers crossed. Seems to be my only option. Yeah, it's gonna work! (y)

Ask a Question