Do you find you no longer like frozen or canned vegetables?

Reaction score
Unfortunately the produce available in my part of the world during the winter is pretty anemic looking so I do rely on frozen veggies then BUT during growing season I only eat fresh. I do have good luck jazzing up frozen veggies, mostly high heat sauteeing with a little olive oil and herbs, to make them taste more like fresh.
And, like Babble64, I have become an "applesauce snob" too ... we get great apples from our local orchard and I make homemade applesauce to eat all year and it can't be beat!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't mind frozen veggies, I try to stay away from the canned foods. I am concerned about what maybe leaking into the food. My favorite would be fresh tomatoes, they are so good with just a little salt on them. The food that comes from your own garden or the farmers market has the most value as far as nutrition is concerned.

Reaction score
I can't remember the last time that I actually had canned or frozen vegetables - as for years now I have grown all my own fruit and vegetables - but on the few occasions that I have had them - I do have a strong recollection of them being flavorless and in some cases not even tasting like the picture portrayed on the packet o_O which apart from enjoying doing it - is one of the main reasons that I started growing my own.:)

Reaction score
I do have that problem, and spinach in particular is bad - canned is overly salty and frozen really doesn't taste like anything at all. For most veggies I'm okay with frozen for cooking if I can't get fresh but spinach is pretty much fresh or nothing. I very very seldom buy any canned foods these days out of concern for what is leeching into the food from the can's lining as well as because in since making the transition to cooking almost entirely from scratch I find a lot of canned and prepared foods to be too salty.

Reaction score
I am sure most people would much prefer fresh over frozen or canned vegetables but sometimes that is all you can get at certain times of the year. I hate the taste of these fake, flavorless hot house tomatoes that are grown to look pretty and taste like mealy mush. The price of food has really gotten out of control here and it used to be that I really looked forward to the farmer's markets every season, but they too are now charging extremely high prices. Three tomatoes for $5.00? No, I think not.

Reaction score
I used to enjoy canned Chinese food until I had some that had been made with fresh vegetables: it is SO much better when the vegetables are a little crispy!

I still enjoy some canned and frozen vegetables, but more and more I prefer fresh.

Reaction score
I don't mind frozen veg, as it's usually me that froze it in the first place :D

Thank you so much for clearing my mental block - you just made me realize - yes of course - I do regularly eat plenty of frozen and bottled fruit over the winter months - but like you - only when its been grown in my garden and then bottled or frozen by me :D

I don't know why - but for some reason whenever someone mentions canned or frozen fruit and vegetables - my mind automatically conjures up the flavor or rather lack of flavor of the store bought ones - which is obviously what caused my mental block.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Now you mention it, I found a frozen mental block of something that i'd forgot to lable before putting in the freezer.

I'd stewed it up before freezing, looked like Rhubarb.

Turns out that sweetened Leeks & Custard don't make a very nice pudding :(

Reaction score
Now you mention it, I found a frozen mental block of something that i'd forgot to lable before putting in the freezer.

I'd stewed it up before freezing, looked like Rhubarb.

Turns out that sweetened Leeks & Custard don't make a very nice pudding :(

Know what you mean - mental blocks do tend to have a habit of causing problems - but have to say - that I think frozen mental blocks are even worse and especially where food is concerned :LOL:

Your Leeks & Custard sound very much like my Zucchini Crumble - interesting - but not quite what the taste buds were expecting :(

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Glad its not just me that makes the culinary faux pas then :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ooh I'm not sure which is worse, ha ha!!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Gata & I are thinking of venturing into the restaurant business

Reaction score
:oops: totally forgot about that Zigs - yet another mental block on my part :D but yes its true we have seriously been thinking about doing just that - as we feel that we would be quite successful in catering to the needs - of those who enjoy a touch of mystery to their food and see eating as a gastronomic adventure - because it certainly would be - especially as even we wouldn't know - which particular frozen mental block they would actually be getting :LOL:

Ask a Question