Do you find you no longer like frozen or canned vegetables?

Reaction score
No, I don't think that's weird. I actually prefer canned green beans over frozen ones. Something about the texture of frozen ones just isn't right for me. I'm also picky about how I cook them fresh. But canned green beans are always good when they're seasoned correctly...yummy.

I do think it depends on the brand of canned veggies that you buy as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I NEVER liked eating canned vegetables. I think the only exceptions might be corn or peas. I barely ever eat corn anymore unless it's cooked in a dish I have when I'm out someplace. I have eaten frozen vegetables, but it's so easy to get fresh, and when I shop at the farmer's market I have more than I can use in a week quite often.

Reaction score
I am with you on this one! I used to love frozen veggies with my dinner, but now I just can't stand it. The vegetables have to be fresh in order for me to stomach it.

Reaction score
I am in for fresh vegetables all the way however when certain vegetables are not in season i will opt for the canned or frozen ones.

Reaction score
I grew up eating fresh homegrown vegetables in season and with few exceptions I prefer fresh. For some reason I love canned green beans and always have. Odd I know. But I don't mind frozen at all; my mother froze a lot of the vegetables from our garden, and in spring we would go to the pick your own strawberry place and pick tons of strawberries and freeze most of them. I tried canned asparagus once - YUCK it is all mushy and flavorless - gave most of it to the dogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I guess I am lucky in that I can get pretty much anything year round, but I have noticed certain things don't taste that good or don't hold up for very long and I think it has to do with the season and where they are grown and how far they travel to market, etc. I can get enough variety with what is in season at the farmer's market though, so I don't think about it much.

Reaction score
Yes I totally find that I'm not too crazy about certain frozen or canned vegetables but it really depends on what it is. In the past I did eat some frozen and canned vegetables. When it comes to spinach I have to buy it fresh though all the time. I really do enjoy fresh vegetables and try to eat as much of that as I can for excellent health.

Reaction score
Canned vegetables are okay in a pinch but they lack so much flavor! Even frozen veggies are less enjoyable as they can sometimes have strange textures or flavors added in. Nothing beats fresh from the garden or canned/frozen from home. I like knowing where my veggies are coming from too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I was never a fan of canned or frozen vegetables because they taste funny and are often soggy. Also, we never buy those because there are many fresh/organic vegetables sold at the market near our home. :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have a pretty extensive vegetable garden (three, actually) and I freeze and can, so we eat vegetables all three ways--fresh, frozen, and canned. We buy baked beans and creamed corn in cans, but other than that we pretty well eat our own vegetables in one form or another.

Reaction score
I need to have my peas fresh or canned. I can't stand frozen. I always thought that was odd, since everyone always insisted that frozen were the closest tasting to fresh but not in my book. I think some of it depends on what you grew up with. Otherwise I like nearly everything fresh but gardening season is over here so I will have to wait till next year, except for what I can keep going in the hoop house this winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I definitely think once you switch from frozen or canned veggies to fresh veggies it is hard to go back. Fresh produce has such a different taste when cooked compared to what you get when you cook pre-packaged veggies. However, I do think canned and frozen veggies are good in some cases such as using them for smoothies or using the precut corn, carrots and peas to make fried rice.

However, when eating raw I always try to go for the fresh stuff (with fruit too!).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I grew up on canned vegetables, my mother was into anything fast and easy. I ate frozen and/or fresh veggies with my grandmother. Now that I am adult with my own household, I find that I prefer fresh veggies first and foremost. They taste better and have more nutrients to offer. I will use frozen as a secondary, but will not touch the canned stuff. I don't see how anyone can eat that, there are no nutrients offered and to me it just seems like such a waste. Why eat something healthy if all the good stuff has been processed out of it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I was born and raised in imported canned goods from the US. The Campbell soup is a ubiquitous object in our kitchen. My mother used to buy them in the Clark US base in the nearby province of Pampanga. But when I married and we stayed near the market, I realized that it is better to be fresh all the time. Now we don't have anything in the freezer except ice and ice cream sometimes. Our vegetables are bought every day, on the day it will be cooked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lately, I've been eating a lot of canned beans. I know they aren't very healthy, but they're so cheap and easy to prepare!
I have some beans from my parents' garden, but cooking them takes forever:rolleyes:

Ask a Question