Dirty Veggies What Now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
As the produce comes in from the garden what will you be using to clean them? Is the water and brush still standard? Clorinated water? Vinegar water? What are you using on your store bought veggies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We just rinse ours really well under city chlorinated tap water which is only about 3 ppm FC.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the produce comes in from the garden what will you be using to clean them? Is the water and brush still standard? Clorinated water? Vinegar water? What are you using on your store bought veggies?
If you HAVE to rely on store bought veggies, make sure they are grown organically, and then just a bit of 'spit and polish' should do the job :LOL: Cooking veggies will finish the job!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I wash the stuff from the garden with rainwater before Tetters spits on it 😁

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:unsure: @zigs Do those American people understand ''spit & polish'' ?

Spit and Polish is a custom left over from Roman times, where a Roman soldier would spit on his Gladiolus (short sword) and then polish it on his tunic to ensure you died from the stab wound and not a later infection :)

DSC02397.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Spit and Polish is a custom left over from Roman times, where a Roman soldier would spit on his Gladiolus (short sword) and then polish it on his tunic to ensure you died from the stab wound and not a later infection :)
That seems to be a high price to pay just to garden a little.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Surely back in the day everybody had the sort of polish you had to spit in?
One would think so surely !

View attachment 101974
🧐 Well, now I feel properly educated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That puzzled me for a bit, then I realised Americans probably call any sort of headgear a cap.
Well what is that tall fuzzy helmet worn by the red jackets around the palace called anyway? They seem spit and polished. What is it made of? Are there black bears with bald bottoms because of some mad hatter?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm zonked!
Now back to the question with a thoroughly practical suggestion from down under.
Put some 50mm weldmesh over the compost bin and let the water not be wasted. Let the initial washing of carrots leave dirt and water where it is most needed - over the compost.
Okay - you may resume your Anglo- American exploration of bygone expressions.

Ask a Question