Greenhouse Veggies Taste Strange?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, so I work at a hydroponics greenhouse. We grow multiple types of veggies. I've tried the tomatoes and the cucumbers. They have almost no flavor. The tomato was just barely flavored, and the cucumber had about 1/3 the normal amount of cucumber flavor. My boss says they're delicious meanwhile. Is this a greenhouse related thing or a nutrient blend related thing? I can't imagine they have repeat buyers of this produce, its worse than grocery store quality....Thanks

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Very interesting post.

I suspect It isn't the greenhouse per se its more the growing medium that is affecting the taste. Taste is an individual thing, but you are probably closer to reality than your boss who may have some owner's bias.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you got your own garden at home? Maybe you could grow a couple of tomatoes in nice organic soil with some manure in it - take some produce to your boss and invite him to taste the difference.
In your shoes I would have to get a different job, working with the soil.
Do you use insecticides etc? :yuck:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Back in the 1970's I was involved with a large scale hydroponics operation. The medium we used was sand. We pumped numerous blends of micro and macro nutrients into the growing beds of 1000's of tomato plants. We never did get a garden grown taste. They all tasted like store bought tomatoes. I left after 3 years because of this. I would hope that in the intervening 50 years things have changed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you got your own garden at home? Maybe you could grow a couple of tomatoes in nice organic soil with some manure in it - take some produce to your boss and invite him to taste the difference.
In your shoes I would have to get a different job, working with the soil.
Do you use insecticides etc? :yuck:
Yes I have my own at home, I grow organic tomatoes and they definitely taste better. The tomatoes had almost 0 tomatoey taste. My boss has an outdoor garden as well so there's a comparison available. Its the only gardening job available to me right now so I definitely prefer it to a desk job lol. Yes, we use pesticides but luckily I'm not the one who applies them. I don't think any of the growing process is organic. Not my style but also isn't my garden so none of my beeswax lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed that with a vendor who does hydroponic lettuce, tasteless. I mentioned it to the lady who runs the local FM. She agreed and said dirt always produces better tasting veggies. The most positive upside to the hydroponics imo is no bugs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, so I work at a hydroponics greenhouse. We grow multiple types of veggies. I've tried the tomatoes and the cucumbers. They have almost no flavor. The tomato was just barely flavored, and the cucumber had about 1/3 the normal amount of cucumber flavor. My boss says they're delicious meanwhile. Is this a greenhouse related thing or a nutrient blend related thing? I can't imagine they have repeat buyers of this produce, its worse than grocery store quality....Thanks
In the UK we say, as does Chuck in Texas, "The worst tomato I ever grew, was better than the best tomato I ever bought.
Most of us grow our tomatoes in greenhouses.
Similarly, my cucumbers are hugely better than shop bought.
My peppers & aubergines from the greenhouse are delicious too.
Your boss is defending a hydroponics regime that isn't cutting it, possibly because of his level of investment.
Do you tell him?
You must, he may be only one nutrient additive away.
As for what that may be, others will be far more qualified to tell you than I.
If you don't tell him, he may lose his business & you, your job.
I also notice from your post that you grow tomatoes.
Let him sample them.
Tell him you love your job & want to continue there & that is why you raise your concerns, & that in no way is it personal.
The only thing in his favour, may be that, commercially speaking, the competition may not be much better.
Maybe this will help?

Last edited:

Ask a Question