Using Compost to heat a Greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read a few articles recently about heating a greenhouse from the heat created by the ?composting process. Does anyone have any firsthand experience of this and is it worth a try?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, using compost to heat a greenhouse is a technique that some gardeners and farmers have used with success. The process is called "hot composting" and involves creating a pile of organic matter that generates heat as it decomposes. This heat can be used to warm the greenhouse during the colder months.

Hot composting requires a large amount of organic matter, such as leaves, grass clippings, and kitchen scraps. The materials are layered and mixed to create a pile that is about 3-5 feet high. The pile needs to be turned regularly to ensure even decomposition and consistent heat production. The ideal temperature range for hot composting is between 120-160 degrees Fahrenheit.

To use the heat from the compost pile to warm a greenhouse, you can bury a pipe or series of pipes through the center of the pile, allowing air to flow through them. The warm air is then circulated through the greenhouse via fans or vents.

While hot composting can generate a significant amount of heat, the technique may not be suitable for all greenhouse setups. Factors such as the size of the greenhouse, the size of the compost pile, and the availability of materials can all impact the effectiveness of this method.

If you are interested in using hot composting to heat your greenhouse, it is important to do some research and planning before getting started. There are many resources available online and in gardening books that can provide more detailed instructions and guidance on the process. Additionally, you may want to reach out to other gardeners or farmers in your area who have experience with hot composting to get firsthand advice and tips.

For more info check this resource
Facebook Page:
Youtube Channel Link:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Nasir,

I have been looking at various youtube videos about using the heat produced by a compost pile and the ones that I have seen have all been done a quite a grand scale which I'm not sure I would have the space for. I shall keep looking for examples that might work on a smaller scale.

I did come across this youtube clip which was very inspiring indeed and has given me more food for thought about otherways to heat my greenhouse - I thought you might be interested if you haven't already come across this:

(63) Nebraska retiree uses earths's heat to grow oranges in snow - YouTube

What a very clever and inspiring gentleman. :)

Ask a Question