What's up with the multi-purpose compost I'm using?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a few empty pots of compost on my windowsill for a few weeks now. I was growing lettuce in them before I transplanted them outside. Some kind of fuzz started growing on top of the empty pots so I removed it and sprinkled cinnamon over the top. I also noticed some sort of crystallization going on in the compost.

Does anyone know what is going on with the compost I'm using? Can I still use it to grow other things?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is your potting medium? By 'compost' do you mean only decomposed organic matter from composting, or do you mean a commercial blended potting 'soil' or mix? Such a blend might contain compost, wood fines, peat, coir, sand, pumice, etc.

Also, do post pictures of your soil and over situation. 'Crystallization' in the soil might mean a number of things. When you do photograph, take full advantage of your camera's macro option. Even many basic cameras have decent capbilities in this regard.

Ask a Question