Using compost

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I cracked open last years leaves for some general compost needed around the yard and plants. I stretch it with perlite and vermiculite.

IMG_20180606_112533.jpg

The good stuff is always on the bottom. especially where it can get oxygen.
IMG_20180606_113908.jpg

IMG_20180606_114041.jpg

I had a stump spot I want grass in so I just mix it up with seed right on the spot and spread itout.
IMG_20180606_114515.jpg

I re-pile the top layers and wet them as I go. I will chip branches and do some trimming and make a new pile to be ready for winter.
IMG_20180619_112235.jpg

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Why don't you plant some hellebores instead of grass? Grass is sooooo boring! If I were you, I would naturalise the area with snowdrops (expensive ones, yellow ones and quaint one as they will bring in money!) Also, Erythrouium. Skunky fritillaria imperalis. Just one blub will turn into several. I have to pay through my nose to get that much land .. and you pave it with GRASS!:eek::cry:

You don't really need to spend money on vermiculite and perlite! The leaf mould is god send. But I think I would love to be your grass - pampered grass!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Why don't you plant some hellebores instead of grass? Grass is sooooo boring! If I were you, I would naturalise the area with snowdrops (expensive ones, yellow ones and quaint one as they will bring in money!) Also, Erythrouium. Skunky fritillaria imperalis. Just one blub will turn into several. I have to pay through my nose to get that much land .. and you pave it with GRASS!:eek::cry:

You don't really need to spend money on vermiculite and perlite! The leaf mould is god send. But I think I would love to be your grass - pampered grass!:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Thank you for the specific suggestions. I have an ulterior motive. This heavily shaded area stresses plants. We also have a lime rich cherty clay that becomes like concrete in the upcoming dry months. I use wood chips, sugar, compost, vermiculite, perlite, and anything else that will help moisture stay and add some softening effect to this dirt. Also I will get around to trimming some limbs up to allow in a bit more light.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's why you're called @DirtMechanic ! Need to google Cherty clay! Sounds like a naughty boy!:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Decomposing is, of itself an acidic process, so why not broadcast your manure, leaves etc. and let them decompose in situ?
Because the wife does not like the way it looks. And in truth it is not enough mass to overcome the nature of our clay. It will drop the ph though, as evidenced by the difference between my lawn ph and my garden ph. But mid 7s is still not where I would like it to be for some plants. Another aspect is inviting the fungi to party where you are working . It will overrun us in this wet environment. There is no balance because food is on the table. Balance comes after it has settled.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Get Chuck to help you with beer-drinking then.

Brilliant idea!

One reason it is hard to even grow grass is our water. It is so full of lime it is hard to describe. I don't want to boil water for too long because the pot is hard to clean. So whether we want to or not, we lime as we water during the dry period of June-October.
IMG_20180630_045950.jpg

Ask a Question