Greenhouse layout

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am having a green house built in the next couple weeks. It is 8x14 the door will be facing southeast. It is in a spot with no shade cover. I am looking to build one long bench along one side. Is it better on the south west side for more sun or the east side. Not sure if having plants grow up over the west side will block the sun, so I was leaning towards the east side.
Planting tomato, pepper, cucumber. Container growing

Reaction score
Country
Canada
IMG_6185.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most greenhouses I see have either benches on both sides or benches on both sides and a bench down the middle and most that sells potted flowers have them hanging up on the rafters so technically they are blocking a little sun but I've never noticed anything not growing well in them.

If you have a clear horizon for sunrise on the east side, then you could put the bench on the west side to maximize your sunlight exposure time and vice versa.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Most greenhouses I see have either benches on both sides or benches on both sides and a bench down the middle and most that sells potted flowers have them hanging up on the rafters so technically they are blocking a little sun but I've never noticed anything not growing well in them.

If you have a clear horizon for sunrise on the east side, then you could put the bench on the west side to maximize your sunlight exposure time and vice versa.
Thank you for your reply. I’m just putting on one side to utilize the space for sitting and other movable shelving. Probably the west with most sun will be best.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the north or east wind blows here it gets really cold, and when I had greenhouses in a similar position, I favoured the plants mostly being away from those directions. Yours will be in a really good position in my opinion as the sun will catch most of the house most of the day. I would have the most important planting on the bench on the west side there. Hopefully you will have a timber frame on the house, and that will make it easier to add shading too if it becomes necessary - something that can be overlooked initially. You must be really looking forward to the grand completion. Enjoy it!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you for your reply ! I was just waiting for the last of the snow to melt to have it installed. I’m having a local company build this just 1 foot higher walls. Definitely very excited :)

Attachments

• IMG_6245.jpeg
    IMG_6245.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, that is fantastic. Mine were built a long time back, and the last one of 4 was demolished very recently to make room for a shed. I miss it - them, but my work days are done now. Maybe I'll get another small one. Will you be able to heat yours?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Setting mine up. Already have shelf along one side. Going to put another narrower one above it. Going to put a Potting Area and some Storage on the other side. Then a couple Pallets to put some Tropicals and Tomato Plants on.

Raised Beds down the middle. Might put a shelf above it or Hanging Baskets.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am about 85% complete with my build (10x16 doing myself) and putting a 3ft high self most of the way around for starting trays and container pots after they get started (veggies). I am thinking about another shelf higher too, but will wait a few months to see how things work out first. I have a 10' conduit rod in the roof rafters above (1 on each side) to allow for hanging things too but I dont want to eat up the middle open floor space. I want it "roomy". I will have 2 black rain barrels in the back to collect rain off the gutters which will also help the radiant heating in the winter (along with the brick pavers in the floor).

Ask a Question