Bloom Enhancers on tomatoes, squash, & other veggies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have heard that you can spray bloom enhancers on the blooms to increase production of tomatoes. What is this spray and does it help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The one's I know about are Blossom Set and Bloom Set. They are hormones and no, I have never seen them set fruit. The only times I have seen folks spray the blooms and have fruit set was when the nighttime low temps were correct and the plants would have probably set fruit anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
This is a late reply but there's very little science that show these products work. Research has also shown that plants don't benifit in any significant way from spray on products including fertilizer. That's what roots are for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The phtyohormone is called cytokinin and where auxins are responsible for cell elongation and "bending to the light" (see Darwin) the fruit sets are misnamed as they attempt to increase flowers. Like all hormones timing is key, just as budding starts through mid maturity. There is no fountain of youth nor self pollenization.

Used in a sentence:
The marijuana growers will sometime run auxins like superthrive up to maturity then switch to cytokinns hoping for big ol' buds or at least more of them to sell.

I suspect triple super phosphate might help as much especially with a dash of muriate of potash.

Last edited:

Ask a Question