Ladys Purse/ Calceolaria plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. My husband bought me this beautiful plant. It can be a perennial but most ppl in use it as an annual. I'm in 6b central oregon gardening zone. I have a green house as well. I would like to know how to keep this plant blooming for a long time. I usually am good at this but this plant is just not on the internet like others most videos are in a different language. I would prefer to habe it out during spring and summer and in the green house or my house during cold times. Can someone explain how to keep this plant thriving as a perennial.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240519-214501_PictureThis.jpg
    Screenshot_20240519-214501_PictureThis.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 6

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
It is related to Lady's slipper, which I believe grow in the duff in drier patches of woodland just on the edges of open areas that are moderate moisture. Like at the edge of the swamps but not in the saturated parts. It is a carnivorous plant so you feed it meal worms or dead flies and other bugs and it will make its own nutrients. I think that means that the soil is generally poor of nutrients. Other carnivorous plants I had in the past were just potted in potting mix with a bit more loam & you have to get the humidity just right. Not too much water or too little. Fairly warm and humid, but dappled shade. They seem to like to grow under a preffered tree. I am not an expert on these things, but that is what I know. Some pitcher plants grow in the swamps, some in tropical forests. Find out where it grows naturally and recreate the environment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
studyinternationallanguag

Latest Threads