Dirty Veggies What Now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm zonked!
Now back to the question with a thoroughly practical suggestion from down under.
Put some 50mm weldmesh over the compost bin and let the water not be wasted. Let the initial washing of carrots leave dirt and water where it is most needed - over the compost.
Okay - you may resume your Anglo- American exploration of bygone expressions.
Since I have a hose at the garden gate I usually fill the bucket I put the picked veg into not just to remove dirt but also to drown insects hitching a ride into the house. My wife is a member of the "don't wash veggies until you use them" clan. I see keeping them dry but also see veg like tomato or banana on the countertop spoiling faster when not disinfected with a little extra help. Even regular cleaning of the decorative storage containers helps them last weeks longer.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...Put some 50mm weldmesh over the compost bin and let the water not be wasted. Let the initial washing of carrots leave dirt and water where it is most needed - over the compost.
I do something similar but different. I have 30-gallon tubs that fill with rainwater. Whenever I do wash fresh veggies, I just dunk them in the tubs. The residue goes back on the garden...closed system.

It is important to only wash veggies right before you are ready to eat them. For example, potatoes going into storage should NEVER be washed...same for many other veggies. Washing them speeds deterioration 10-fold, at least.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I do something similar but different. I have 30-gallon tubs that fill with rainwater. Whenever I do wash fresh veggies, I just dunk them in the tubs. The residue goes back on the garden...closed system.

It is important to only wash veggies right before you are ready to eat them. For example, potatoes going into storage should NEVER be washed...same for many other veggies. Washing them speeds deterioration 10-fold, at least.
But why does it speed? 10x seems a lot also. I am assuming they get dried thoroughly and are not wet.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
But why does it speed? 10x seems a lot also. I am assuming they get dried thoroughly and are not wet.

According to my AI, "Unwashed veggies have a secret superpower: they stay fresher for longer! 🥦🍅 Many fruits and vegetables have a natural protective coating on their skin. This coating helps repel water while they’re growing. When you wash them, you remove this protective layer."

10-fold may be high, but not much. Potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, beets, onions, even green beans are examples of rapid deterioration after washing.

Just try some garden potatoes...once is all you need to see the huge difference washing makes to shelf life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
According to my AI, "Unwashed veggies have a secret superpower: they stay fresher for longer! 🥦🍅 Many fruits and vegetables have a natural protective coating on their skin. This coating helps repel water while they’re growing. When you wash them, you remove this protective layer."

10-fold may be high, but not much. Potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, beets, onions, even green beans are examples of rapid deterioration after washing.

Just try some garden potatoes...once is all you need to see the huge difference washing makes to shelf life.

I agree on the potatoes. I try to dig them up when the soil is dry enough that it kinda flakes off of the tuber. I just use my hand and fingers to brush them off and then off to the tater bin. Rinsing the soil off does do something to make them spoil noticibly faster. Not sure about 10 times, maybe twice as fast.

Ask a Question