Dirty Dozen and the Clean Fifteen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I always try to remember with produce the dirty dozen and the clean 15. The dirty dozen they say are fruits/veggies with more likelihood of having pesticides used on them, whereas the clean 15 tend to be less likely.

Do you grow any of these foods yourself? Were you aware of certain foods being more dangerous than others when it comes to pesticides and so forth? Have you changed any shopping behaviors as a result?

Dirty-DozenClean-Fifteen-infographic.jpg

Reaction score
Yes, I was quite aware about the dangers of pesticides, and that is why I try to avoid certain fruits and veggies. I'm looking into buying organic celery, since I have read celery is mostly water and can easily absorb pesticides through its thin skin. Sadly my mom loves eating grapes :( I know I can't have a 100% organic diet (unless I grow a big part of what we consume at home), but I like to avoid the edibles from that list.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, I am aware of the dirty fifteen fruits and vegetables! When buying those, I always took time to clean them well and I have used vinegar and salt water to wash them.

Ask a Question