Different Mint Varieties: Are they worth picking up?

JMS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Over the past couple of months I've really gotten into making quality cocktails. I could never find a good place to buy mint, so I decided to grow my own mint. I am not sure what type of mint I've been growing, by pictures it seems to resemble some sort of spearmint. Anyway, upon further research, I've found that mojitos call for cuban, or "mojito mint", and mint juleps call for "kentucky colonel". Is the difference substantial enough to start growing these different varieties? What are your thoughts on all of these different varieties of mint?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow, I didn't realize there were all those different varieites of mint, but it stands to reason there would be I guess. I doubt the difference is that pronounced. From the sound of it, it sounds like people wanted the mint to be in the spirit of the drink, maybe they are just names for the same thing??? Did you try googling? thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There is hardly any difference between the two spearmints. They are interchangeable.

Reaction score
I don't think that the variety of mints should give you any trouble. I was not aware that there were different sorts of mint, honestly. Every mint I've come across is very similar, so I don't think you should have any issues changing it up. If you are growing outside- I warn you that mint spreads like wildfire. It looks beautiful, but mint will spread everywhere throughout your garden. :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
...snip...

If you are growing outside- I warn you that mint spreads like wildfire. It looks beautiful, but mint will spread everywhere throughout your garden. :)
Heed and beware.

Mint. :cautious: Mint. :mad: :mad: Mint, mint, MINT!!! :devil:

I never realized how invasive it is! Terrible stuff. I yanked out every plant I saw. I dug down deep and took out roots. I rototilled the garden and pulled out every leaf, stem, and root I saw. I repeated that process two weeks later. And still there is mint.

For three years now, I've done that - yank, dig, till, sift, ... rinse and repeat ...every spring. It's better, but AAUUGH!!!

Mint. :cry:

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
grow mint in containers or it will take over everything! ... MARY!! LOL!! That is hilarious!! :rolleyes:

Containers!!! Never put it in your ground unless you want to fight it off.

Spearmint is quite different from peppermint, peppermint is more cooling and the oils in it are beneficial to digestion... but so many mints have such subtle differences ... mojito mint (hierbabuena) can be substituted with peppermint. chocolate mint is also a good one to use in mojito ... yummmm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
yes, it is invasive. personally I don't grow it myself. Not that I do not have room to stick it somewhere and let it go. Just do not use enough. However, I would plant a variety. but find those that are so different from each other so that it is really noticeable. I have some drink recipes for Mint Julep dating back to 1880s .

Reaction score
Country
United States
You would really have to be an expert at the cocktails, or your friends experts to even notice the difference. I use it mostly in homemade ice cream at times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As far as I know, there are many varieties of mint and some of them are very unique and nice. Personally, I dream about growing chocolate mint. I bet it smells amazing:love:

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Wait, so "mojito mint" and "peppermint" are two different kinds of mint? I ask because I'm in México and I have 2 plants I call "menta" (mint) and 2 i call hierbabuena. I can tell the difference in the smell between the two (menta and hierbabuena) but I always thought peppermint = hierbabuena. So peppermint is something else? I get there are a ton of mints but it is getting confusing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
In one section of my garden the mower doesn't mow close enough to the garden bed edging. I don't want to have to neaten it regularly by whipper snipping as i have a big garden and have decided to accept that I can't have a pristine look. I actually got the idea from this forum to plant mint on the outer side. It looks nice as it grows and the mowing near it seems to keep it from spreading. Maybe I'd better keep an eye on it but so far I'm liking the look.:confused::). Love to use mint in tabbouleh (thank heaven for spelling check), water melon and fetta salad and to freshen up a jug of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have mojitos in my herb garden, I find it has a bit of a odd taste and doesn't make good ice or hot tea. If you want a mint for your window look for chocolate mint, you will have to grow it inside they don't do well out side and won't make it thru the winter up here in the north.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Be careful about mint. It will multiply and take over yor area. It is good for keeping away squirrels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Be careful about mint. It will multiply and take over yor area. It is good for keeping away squirrels.

My skwirls did not get that memo lol. I have mint everywhere (it is incorporated into my lawn) and about eleventy-hundred squirrels here every day. :) But they don't do any damage so I let them be.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not very familiar with the different variety of mints when it comes to cooking, but I can say that they do make a difference in the flavor and I have tried a couple of different types. That said, though, the differences are pretty minimal so it is not something that makes a whole lot of difference, so if it is a hassle or anything you can probably save yourself the time. I could be wrong though, so I would say do some recipe research and see what you can find.

Ask a Question