How to differentiate a fertilized egg from an unfertilized egg?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Rajesh, we don't keep a rooster, so don't have fertilized eggs. However, a neighbor who has a rooster "candles" her eggs. She says to hold a fresh egg up so a candle flame (or flashlight) shines through it, and you can tell if there is an embryo in it or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Like marlingardener says, When the egg is first laid, and candled, you will see, what looks to be a blood clot. Over a short period of time you will also start to see veins emanating outward. As a young lad I worked on a duck farm, and spent many a hour candling eggs. The fertile eggs were stored in a large fridge for later incubation, while the infertile eggs were sold to bakeries, believe it or not.
(early sixties when LI was known for LI ducks, and LI potatoes)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I guess fresh ones are hard to differentiate, after it developes a bit it's easier.

Does it appear on first day?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I don't think you can actually tell on the first day. I kept a lot of breeding cockatiels and chickens, and the eggs shown fertility on the 3rd/4th day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't think you can actually tell on the first day. I kept a lot of breeding cockatiels and chickens, and the eggs shown fertility on the 3rd/4th day.
Granted it was way back in the sixties, but I kinda remember candling the very first day. Would the size of the egg make a difference in what can be seen?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My dad raised lots of chickens, wish I could recall all he did. but one thing I do now is you don't put eggs in the fridge and expect them to later come out and hatch. but I will google this , as this ol brain is so far from that event in my life.

http://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/storing-fertile-eggs.html
They definitely went into a fridge, and according to your link 50/60° would be okay. The fridge also had a big fan in it for, I guess keeping good air flow. When I worked at the farm, it was only summertime work, so I'm sure that 50/60° felt like a freezer to me.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Like marlingardener says, When the egg is first laid, and candled, you will see, what looks to be a blood clot. Over a short period of time you will also start to see veins emanating outward. As a young lad I worked on a duck farm, and spent many a hour candling eggs. The fertile eggs were stored in a large fridge for later incubation, while the infertile eggs were sold to bakeries, believe it or not.
(early sixties when LI was known for LI ducks, and LI potatoes)
:eek::p;)

Ask a Question