Morning Glory bed over-fertilized?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi,
I have a small morning glory garden (1x8') that I've been using for a few years. It's a nice area in the yard with lots of sun. Three years ago, I had great success with lots of blooms. Then two years ago, I think I over-fertilized it and the plants did poorly; and last year, they had very few blooms again even though I did not fertilize. I was careful not to over water too.

I had my soil analyzed last fall and the report showed phosphorus and calcium "high", and potassium and magnesium "above optimum".

I'm hoping to do better this year and wonder how best to treat the soil. I was thinking of mixing in more compost because I have high-clay soil.

Any thoughts or suggestions about what I can do to improve the blooming this year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,
I have a small morning glory garden (1x8') that I've been using for a few years. It's a nice area in the yard with lots of sun. Three years ago, I had great success with lots of blooms. Then two years ago, I think I over-fertilized it and the plants did poorly; and last year, they had very few blooms again even though I did not fertilize. I was careful not to over water too.

I had my soil analyzed last fall and the report showed phosphorus and calcium "high", and potassium and magnesium "above optimum".

I'm hoping to do better this year and wonder how best to treat the soil. I was thinking of mixing in more compost because I have high-clay soil.

Any thoughts or suggestions about what I can do to improve the blooming this year?
What were the numbers on the fertilizer and how much did you use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
My morning glories, grown in pots were leggy last year and not nearly as nice as I am used to. I think it was just a nasty year that turned everything finicky.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Chuck, I used some unknown brand of Barnyard Tea bags that someone had given me, I don't know the numbers. I remember researching it last fall but the company has gone out of business and I threw away the package.

CanadianLori, I two bad years is a row. Our weather was pretty good last summer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, I used some unknown brand of Barnyard Tea bags that someone had given me, I don't know the numbers. I remember researching it last fall but the company has gone out of business and I threw away the package.

CanadianLori, I two bad years is a row. Our weather was pretty good last summer.
Morning Glories, at least around here are grown with absolutely no care what so ever except watering now and then. They seem to like nasty alkaline soils of which I am blessed. I don't know if you soil is alkaline or acidic. The fertilizer you used is an organic product with a low NPK. I think you may have used too much. All organic fertilizers are a slow release. What I would do is try again and don't do anything except for light watering and to treat them like an unwanted guest, no special care or treatment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I kind of have that for a plan. My soil ph is 6.5. I remember watering and using that fertilizer a lot that summer.

I get what you mean about them being adaptable to poor soil. Once at work, I threw some seeds out into a pebbly area with sandy soil under the pebbles, watered them now and then, and had beautiful flowers covering the chain link fence. I was just wondering if there was anything to be done to hurry along the leaching of the fertilizer out of the area, but I guess I'll just have to wait on the runoff.

Maybe I'll plant another small "control" area and compare the reults. Thanks.

Ask a Question