Magical Morning Sun

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Seems like every time I read about how to expose a plant to sun that prefers partial shade, the advice almost always recommends "Morning Sun".

I've even heard other gardeners repeat this recommendation and when asked what's the difference between morning and evening sun, I only get answers in the form of non-specific innuendo on how "magical" morning sun is compared to evening sun.

I'm not saying that there's no difference, I just want to know why morning sun is better (if in fact it is). I have one theory, but I will hold that possible reason for later....

What's so "ideal" (magical) about morning sun as opposed to evening sun?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Seems like every time I read about how to expose a plant to sun that prefers partial shade, the advice almost always recommends "Morning Sun".

I've even heard other gardeners repeat this recommendation and when asked what's the difference between morning and evening sun, I only get answers in the form of non-specific innuendo on how "magical" morning sun is compared to evening sun.

I'm not saying that there's no difference, I just want to know why morning sun is better (if in fact it is). I have one theory, but I will hold that possible reason for later....

What's so "ideal" (magical) about morning sun as opposed to evening sun?
Morning sun is better for a couple of reasons. Intensity and ambient temperature. Other reasons may include refraction but I'm not sure I know all that I know about it. Another reason is moisture use being reduced due to transpiration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Morning sun comes with cooler temperatures, while afternoon sun adds to heat that has built up during the day. In general, morning sun will not burn your plants, but afternoon sun will.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Those answers sound logical :)

Like Chuck said, most plants (c3) can't use the sun between 10 am and 2pm as the pores in the leaves close to prevent evaporation.

Once the co2 in the leaves is used up, photosynthesis stops.

Sweetcorn is an exception, being a c4 plant it can photosynthesise all day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Do you not just love the dawning of the day? It is by far my favorite.
it seems like the birds sing extra pages for the morning hours cheering the suns arrival.

Like right now, 5PM, its quiet with the birds compared to the morning, hear a few chirps, not many, have to really listen for any now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I generally open the bedroom curtains and get back into bed with a coffee to enjoy the stirrings of my favorite pet and the dig and cats. It is a blessed time of day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Chuck's and Tjohn's points about the ambient temp is what my theory basically is, i.e. that the plant can be heat stressed by the end of the day, so that the evening sun's rays are least effective, than in the cooler morning time when the leaves seem more receptive to the sun's rays.

However, this seems to only really be applicable for plants that do show signs of heat stress; some plants don't seem to do that daytime droop like others.

This link says I should try and get morning sun on my Shrimp plant, but it's in a location to get evening sun, but it doesn't show heat stress like so many of my other plants... so I'm just wondering if they're just parroting this recommendation about morning sun.

I guess I'll just have to get more of these plants and experiment:p

Here's the link and excerpt: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/shrimp-plant/growing-shrimp-plants.htm

Excerpt:

Well rooted plants are fairly drought tolerant, but like most tropicals, it thrives in high humidity. While they will grow in full sun to partial shade, growing shrimp plants where they receive morning sun is ideal. They need the sun to bring out the brightest colors and, yet, too much sun will cause the colors to fade too soon.

Read more at Gardening Know How: How To Grow Shrimp Plants – Growing Information And Shrimp Plant Care https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/shrimp-plant/growing-shrimp-plants.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Those answers sound logical :)

Like Chuck said, most plants (c3) can't use the sun between 10 am and 2pm as the pores in the leaves close to prevent evaporation.

Once the co2 in the leaves is used up, photosynthesis stops.

Sweetcorn is an exception, being a c4 plant it can photosynthesise all day.
I have another exception...Sunflowers.

Here in Florida we have a very powerful sun (and some serious heat) that causes most of my plants to droop, but sunflowers love it and they can't get enough; give them a little shade and they're looking :cry:.

There are some other exceptions, but I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet...:hurting::oldman:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Try some French Market coffee and chicory sometime. I do not know why that one is so good and all the other coffee and chicory blends i have tried are so bad. I get it at Publix. It comes in a old fashioned metal can.

Ask a Question