Help me choose something different!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've got the itch to try something different and need some ideas. Looking for an edible fruit, doesn't have to be mind blowing flavor, but good enough to bother picking.

Considering passion fruit, dragon fruit, papaya, something else? Zone is 8b/9a. Below freezing tempos are rate and short lived. This winter we had an 8 or 10 hour stretch below freezing and people thought it was the end of the world. I have some success with bananas, just to give a better feel for the climate.

I have a location worth full sun or a few partial areas. Either way, nothing to big (full size trees or large bushes). Ideas? Something different or strange?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am partial to avacados but can't grow them here. You can if you plant one of the "cold hardy" varieties. Other than that how about a mango. They will grow good there.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Jackfruit if you have a big greenhouse!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Blueberries - easy and good for you and should be OK in your zone. They don't take up a lot of room either. What is there not to love?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lychee if you have tasted the really delicious juicy ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am partial to avacados but can't grow them here. You can if you plant one of the "cold hardy" varieties. Other than that how about a mango. They will grow good there.
Oh man, I would love both of those. Is there a smaller variety? I thought both were pretty good size trees?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh man, I would love both of those. Is there a smaller variety? I thought both were pretty good size trees?
They are both good sized trees, especially the mango which can go over 100 feet tall but there are numerous dwarf varieties which will stay less than 20 feet in the ground. An example is Julie but there are many others. You will just have to check with your local real nursery to see what grows best in your area. Avacados can also become a large tree but it takes years and years. You can always top an avacado and keep it as a bush type plant. And there are numerous dwarf varieties of avacado which stay less than 20 feet in the ground. Again, just check with your local nursery

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They are both good sized trees, especially the mango which can go over 100 feet tall but there are numerous dwarf varieties which will stay less than 20 feet in the ground. An example is Julie but there are many others. You will just have to check with your local real nursery to see what grows best in your area. Avacados can also become a large tree but it takes years and years. You can always top an avacado and keep it as a bush type plant. And there are numerous dwarf varieties of avacado which stay less than 20 feet in the ground. Again, just check with your local nursery

Awesome, time to do some research!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Blueberries - easy and good for you and should be OK in your zone. They don't take up a lot of room either. What is there not to love?
Blueberries do grow here. We used to go to a patch not too far and pick them dirt cheap. Challenge is keeping birds off them.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'd also like mango and avocado, one for flavour and one for health. Wonder if they have a dwarf version for both. LOL!

Jackfruit is now hailed as one of the very healthy foods and as you live in near tropical area, it might be a good idea. Yes, I know I'm a bit mad! Well, quite mad! :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm Going to pop My Favourite Fruit On the List (y) Mespilus, commonly called medlar. Native only to southwest Asia and southeastern Europe, i.e. near the BlackSea coast and western Mediterranean. I have Read about a second proposed species of Mespilus, discovered in North America in 1990 It Turned out to be a Cross Between Mespilus germanica and a Hawthorn. They Do Grow in Britain & I love them & eat Every one I pick After they have started bletting befor picking & then tend to need to be Eaten or used to make Jellys but Not sure About your Zone. Would need to do a little Research :)

Ask a Question