Please help me choose some trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I was hoping some of you with far more gardening experience than me could give me some help or suggestions for trees to plant along the front of my house. The trees will sit behind the privet hedge which borders the pavement. The hedge is about 4 foot tall. The trees are only in a small part for screening - the hedge provides the privacy I need. The purpose of the trees is purely beauty. What I would love is :

1) a round shaped spreading tree on a tall single trunk - (loosely like a huge round lollipop)
2) which is uniform and attractive in its shape
3) not too bothered about fruit or blossom - I am more concerned with finding a busy pretty round tree - happy to plant several
4) evergreen would be great but not essential

Does such a tree exist? I am not keen on cherry blossoms given how long they will take to spread and their upright vase shape. The branches and shape are also a little awkward.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have tried so many tree finders with no success. I am based in Scotland.

Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Number one on my list because you can prune it to suit would be (as in my own garden) Silver Birch... Betula utilis jacquemontii.....The jacquemontii var. offers the most beautifulist of white bark.....also one to consider for ornament peeling bark is Acer griseum
Regards
C

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
yesterday, I myself was choosing trees for one of my group homes. the back needs shade trees badly to help with cooling the deck and the intense sun coming in the dining room. Simply googled, fast growing shade trees. A number of trees appeared on the list. So as I looked at each, keeping in mind zone and size and shape I made a two choices. Found it easy to do that, as pictures were right there. Also, if they change colors in the fall or other interesting things about them.

Ask a Question