Are there different varieties of mint plants?

Reaction score
I just bought a peppermint plant, but it seems so much smaller than the mint I used to grow. It also smells different. Are there different varieties? The mint I used to grow was taken from a plant my grandma had grown for many many years and it just seems so different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just bought a peppermint plant, but it seems so much smaller than the mint I used to grow. It also smells different. Are there different varieties? The mint I used to grow was taken from a plant my grandma had grown for many many years and it just seems so different.
There are dozens if not hundreds of different varieties of mint

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Chuck is right, there are lots and lots of them:) Some of them are really interesting. Personally, I dream of growing chocolate mint, because I'm a chocolate addict and I love sweet smells. I also heard of pineapple mint, lavender mint, apple mint and lemon bergamot mint. I want them all!:)

Reaction score
Tons and tons of them! My favorite is the chocolate mint which makes an incredibly flavorful tea. I have also grown pineapple, spearment, peppermint, and apple mint. Many varieties to choose from.

Reaction score
I have grown two different mint plants. I was surprised the other day when I went to Sprouts and they had lavender mint, chocolate mint, and pineapple mint in the front of the store! I had never heard of lavender and pineapple before. They smelled really nice though. I didn't buy any because I have a regular mint plant that I bought to make Mojito's and I never use it. :( There is another mint variety that I grew a long time ago called "dotted mint," I'm not sure if it is an actual mint variety. I bought it because it produces pretty flowers that look almost like an orchid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Dotted mint sounds like an adorable plant! Does it really have dots on it? It would be wonderful! I love dots, it's my favorite pattern, I've always had a soft spot for it.
If I saw a polka dotted plant at a store, I'd buy it immediately!:)

Reaction score
The flowers are dotted. Here is a picture!
3808150913_7df0bab27d_z.jpg

I think the flowers are so pretty! Native Americans used the plant to treat fevers and sinus problems. I love herbs because they are like natural medicine! It's not an herb, but sometimes you can find a Coleus plant that is polka dotted. I've always liked those plants and they come in a variety of colors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
These flowers are really pretty! I adore this delicate shade of pink, in my opinion it's the loveliest color in the whole world:)
And I couldn't agree more, herbs really are like natural medicine. I always drink mint tea for an upset stomach, it helps me more than anything else.

Reaction score
As everybody as has already said there are hundreds of different varieties of mint and although I grow the traditional peppermint and spearmint plants - I also grow many of the other flavors too - not only because I love the flavor and aroma and particularly that of chocolate mint - but because of how they look too - as they all look very different from each other as you can see

Pineapple mint - which takes on a white or yellow variegation depending on whether it is in sun or shade

Mint - Pineapple.jpg

Variegated Peppermint

Mint - Variegated Peppermint.jpg

Ginger Mint

Mint - Variegated Ginger.JPG

and my absolute favorite Chocolate Mint with its burgundy hue

Mint - Chocolate.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, these mint varieties look completely different from each other! I'd never guess that they're all mint:)
When it comes to looks, my favorite is Variegated Peppermint. I love this combination of green and white. I'd like to grow it on my windowsill.

Reaction score
My favorite is chocolate mint too! It is yummy! I also love apple mint, peppermint, spearmint, really all of the mints! I want to try and grow some pineapple mint, because I haven't tried that yet! Mint is so easy to grow. It just goes wild!

Ask a Question