New lawn from 2 different types of seed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am about to start sowing my grass seed. I have done all the hard work prep and got my fertilizer down.

I have purchased 2 different types of grass seed, a general amenity seed and also a shady area seed. My question really is how noticeable will the grasses be if i sown one against the other? And instead of a line where they join should I mix 50% of each and have a transition margin of say 1 metre or so???

Any thoughts would be really appreciated. I need to get on with this in the next 2 or 3 days.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Flatlander,

Packet 1 (Quality hard wearing)
Contains amenity perennial ryegrass, strong creeping red fescue and smooth stalked meadow grass.

Packet 2 (Shady place)
Contains 37% chewing's fescue, 45% strong creeping red fescue, 10% hard fescue, 5% smooth-stalked meadow grass and 3% highland bent.

Also I was going to sow at a rate of 50g/m2?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
My own lawn has similar problems to yours. Two particular places are in deep shade, so I also used two different seed mixes. They are "simpler" ones than yours, so I dont feel confident enough to give an accurate answer.

At a guess, I would say this. Mix up the edge between Packet 1 and 2. I doubt that an edge will be seen even if you dont, but I would go for the "better safe than sorry" thing.

For the mixes I use, 20g/m2 is recommended. Generally though, I would use slightly more than this.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I was think that's the best thing to do.

The packets contain about half of the same seed types anyway but if I mix them then it will be a nice gradual transition.

Ask a Question