Need some help with Lawn

Saj

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone.

Pardon me for my very little knowledge in gardening/lawn care, this is my first home and will be year 2 .. Not really an expert at this. This is what my front lawn looks like - pic attached. My neighbor had Truegreen guys out there, i discussed this and was told its dollar spot (fungus).

I am at loss here and not really sure how to pursue. Any strong feedback with directions would really be helpful.

I was told eventually next year it will regrow. But i still dont want to leave it like this without doing anything.

Facts - i have been watering the lawn twice a day (sprinkler). In ohio, since temps started going above 80- i run twice a day with 5 minutes on each sprinkler. 1st kicks in at 7am - second at 5.30pm

Thank you kindly for all your assistance with this.

Attachments

• IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 255
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Everyone.

Pardon me for my very little knowledge in gardening/lawn care, this is my first home and will be year 2 .. Not really an expert at this. This is what my front lawn looks like - pic attached. My neighbor had Truegreen guys out there, i discussed this and was told its dollar spot (fungus).

I am at loss here and not really sure how to pursue. Any strong feedback with directions would really be helpful.

I was told eventually next year it will regrow. But i still dont want to leave it like this without doing anything.

Facts - i have been watering the lawn twice a day (sprinkler). In ohio, since temps started going above 80- i run twice a day with 5 minutes on each sprinkler. 1st kicks in at 7am - second at 5.30pm

IMO you are just wasting water and encouraging fungal problems with the way you are watering. Watering for 5 minutes doesn't water the roots where any plant must be watered. 5 minutes barely gets the top of the soil damp. Dollar spot is caused by dry roots, hot weather and high humidity. When you water, water about an inch. To know how much you are water get a couple of empty tuna cans and place them out in the yard when you water next time. Time how long it takes to fill up the cans. Water this long once every 7-10 days. To get rid of the fungus apply about 1/4 inch of good compost over the lawn. Then you should fertilize with a good organic fertilizer.
In you situation it looks as if your lawn is basically dead. I would mow it a low as possible and rake up all of the debris you can. I don't know what type of grass you have but it looks like either Bermuda or Zoysia. I would go buy some seed and re seed the whole thing before adding the compost and fertilizer.
https://www.trugreen.com/blog/lawn-disease/what-is-dollar-spot-lawn-disease

Reaction score
Country
United States
I believe that some fertilizers can help you with your problem, thats what I did when my grass was looking like yours. I bought a product called Greensand on Amazon. Looks like that the product has some minerals that helps the grass to look more green. I dont know, I friend of mine told me about it so I decided to try it. I hope you can find a solution for your problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I believe that some fertilizers can help you with your problem, thats what I did when my grass was looking like yours. I bought a product called Greensand on Amazon. Looks like that the product has some minerals that helps the grass to look more green. I dont know, I friend of mine told me about it so I decided to try it. I hope you can find a solution for your problem.
Greensand is good stuff but it is not a fertilizer. It's NPK is only 0-0-3 . What it has though are multitudes of trace minerals.......and iron which is the greening agent.

G.W

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMO you are just wasting water and encouraging fungal problems with the way you are watering. Watering for 5 minutes doesn't water the roots where any plant must be watered. 5 minutes barely gets the top of the soil damp. Dollar spot is caused by dry roots, hot weather and high humidity. When you water, water about an inch. To know how much you are water get a couple of empty tuna cans and place them out in the yard when you water next time. Time how long it takes to fill up the cans. Water this long once every 7-10 days. To get rid of the fungus apply about 1/4 inch of good compost over the lawn. Then you should fertilize with a good organic fertilizer.
In you situation it looks as if your lawn is basically dead. I would mow it a low as possible and rake up all of the debris you can. I don't know what type of grass you have but it looks like either Bermuda or Zoysia. I would go buy some seed and re seed the whole thing before adding the compost and fertilizer.
https://www.trugreen.com/blog/lawn-disease/what-is-dollar-spot-lawn-disease
Hi Everyone.

Hey SAJ, Not a lawn expert but do you have a sprinkler system? Was your lawn sodded by previous owners? If so you, really need to water it like the previous person said. If no changes occur from intense watering you may just need to get some seed in the ground. So do you have grubs..........kind looks like you do........just buy a grub killer from Garden Center and eliminate that issue.............Go to your local Arboretum, or Cooperative extension and they can tell you what happened to your lawn and how to help it. I use the local extensions for many lawn, garden, landscape issues. They are free and more than willing to help with any problems you have. Now is the perfect time to get working on your lawn as well! Hope that helps...GW

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree! We bought a house lately and the surrounding and the neighbors, everything was good except the house was very old. Though it was big and spacious, but it was old. By looking at everything else, we just bought it and strated working on it. Remodeling some parts of the house like kitchen and bathroom by hiring the Home Quality Remodeling professionals online and DIYing the other parts of the house including the lawn. We did a lot of work there and water sprinkler yield good results. Lush green grass was grown and that's when we started planting trees and shrubs. What worked for you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Grass will go dormant in the summer heat if it doesn't get enough water and if mowed to short.
Once the fall rains kick in regular your lawn will probably green right back up, the water just needs to get to the roots.

There are a ton of internet blogs, and you tubes on how to make a beautiful lawn.
Much of it has to do with mowing properly. only take a 1/3d of the grass off when you mow. Mow it taller that those who mow to the root, Saves on mower blades and engines to because you are not hitting stuff to bend cranks and ding up the blades.

Learn how to sharpen mower blades and do it to keep them sharp, you want the grass clipped not ripped off.

Step 1 - Set Your Mower High
Step 2 - Mow a Dry Lawn
Step 3 - Vary Your Mowing Pattern
Step 4 - Don't Mow on a Schedule
Step 5 - Wait Before Mowing a New Lawn
Step 6 - Leave Grass Clippings on Your Lawn
Step 7 - Keep Your Mower Blade Sharp
Step 8 - Heed These Helpful Lawn Care Reminders

Don't allow your neighbours dictate how you care for your lawn.
If you water to much in the summer your grass will never put down deep roots so will require you start watering earlier each year and later each fall.

Have never applied a drop of water thru a hose on our lawn yet I have people that have stoped in the summer and asked how come my grass is so green.
Deep roots, and mowing tall. Tall grass also helps with weed controll. If the weed can't get sun lite it can't grow.

:D Al

Last edited:

Ask a Question