Help needed with new lawn pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All
I had new rolawn turf about 4 months ago. No problem until now. From the last few weeks patches start to appear and they are growing in number. Please advise what it is and how to solve the problem. Pls see attached 3 pics .
thanks
rkm

Attachments

• lawn2.jpg
    lawn2.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 381
  • lawn4.jpg
    lawn4.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 333
  • lawn5.jpg
    lawn5.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 363
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dear All
I had new rolawn turf about 4 months ago. No problem until now. From the last few weeks patches start to appear and they are growing in number. Please advise what it is and how to solve the problem. Pls see attached 3 pics .
thanks
rkm
From the pictures it is difficult to see how big and/or how wide and tall these patches are. On the second picture it seems as if the area has been flooded and shows what appears to be worm castings which would be normal as worms do this in times of excess moisture.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am going to be a new homeowner which means I will have to take care of a lawn. Does anyone have an advice for lawnmowers? I need something simple but good enough for to get the job done. This will be my first time cutting a lawn! Thanks :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The black patches look like waste matter of an animal. That's how it looks in a ranch with the roaming cows on the grassy area. Check if there are intruders in your lawn which may be making those black patches.

As for @KimmyMarkks, you can use cutters if your lawn is small. Mowers are advised for big lawns only. And before seeding the ground with grass, clean it very well, take away pebbles and stones.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you @Corzhens! I hadn't even thought of taken away the pebbles and stones. I guess that would ruin any machine though. Are there any styles of cutters you commend or are they all pretty comparable?

I think the first year is going to be a test and learn kind of situation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Thank you @Corzhens! I hadn't even thought of taken away the pebbles and stones. I guess that would ruin any machine though. Are there any styles of cutters you commend or are they all pretty comparable?

I think the first year is going to be a test and learn kind of situation.

What we have here is the big scissors, I don't know how you call it there. We cannot afford a mower because it is expensive as compared to the scissor cutter that is easy to handle. Besides, we hire a hand to use the cutter not only for the grass but also for trimming the bushes like the picus which is prolific with the leaves. I guess you just get a small cutter since it is cheap for an experiment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
I think you have drainage problem because this looks like earth worms doing. I am not sure, first i thought maybe it was a mole but when i saw the other picture i am sure it is not. Beside the drainage it is most probably the soil. Can you tell me if you had the lawn, any kind of grass, there before and was it OK or you had similar problems. Maybe it was something brought by the new turf. I had a smaller problem but similar. What i did was buying grass seeds for sunny conditions ( for me was like that) and just put a lot on the spots. What was necessary ,though, was covering the seeds with some send or clean and fine dry clay, because birds will eat all of the seeds you plant. I am not an expert on this i just love gardening and this is my experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be a new homeowner which means I will have to take care of a lawn. Does anyone have an advice for lawnmowers? I need something simple but good enough for to get the job done. This will be my first time cutting a lawn! Thanks :)
The machine you require depends on the size of your lawn and the quality of finish you require, recently I persuaded a client to upgrade her electric mower to a self drive honda rotary with collector the machine is a 3horse power petrol gasoline unit. Why I am sharing this info with you is because it used to take my client 4-5hours with her electric mower and it was very hard work especially trailing a power cable behind, but the new Honda mower does a better job in an hour and a half. I don't suggest for one moment that you rush out and buy a Honda mower, but I do suggest that you work out the size of your lawns and then speak to local mower shop who can advise on the most appropriate machine.

Ask a Question