Help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I am new to the site with little plant knowledge.

Can anyone tell me what the plant (I think it’s a type of rose) is in the pics and the best way to dead head/ prune?

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• 948AB585-EFFE-46FE-8B63-6BFDA5CF99AF.jpeg
    948AB585-EFFE-46FE-8B63-6BFDA5CF99AF.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 3FB7BFD4-75CF-4FDA-AEE2-92DAB916BB29.jpeg
    3FB7BFD4-75CF-4FDA-AEE2-92DAB916BB29.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 236

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, Chriss!

Yes, they are roses. Just keep deadheading. @marlingardener will help you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chriss, These Roses look like a Rosa Rugosa type Rose, the dead heading should be carried out by cutting the flower stalk back to a leaf bud, it's as easy as that. My experience tells me that they need little pruning other than the removal of dead or diseased wood and to keep the growth of the plant in check to desired height and size. All cuts should be back to a leaf bud so as not to leave ugly little stalks which eventually turn black and die. Hope this answers some of your qs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chriss, These Roses look like a Rosa Rugosa type Rose, the dead heading should be carried out by cutting the flower stalk back to a leaf bud, it's as easy as that. My experience tells me that they need little pruning other than the removal of dead or diseased wood and to keep the growth of the plant in check to desired height and size. All cuts should be back to a leaf bud so as not to leave ugly little stalks which eventually turn black and die. Hope this answers some of your qs

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful and much appreciated.

I’m sure il be back with more questions!

Cheers

Chris

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Whatever the type of rose, dead heading remains the same. The objective is to remove the now dead flower. Logically if you simply cut off or pull off rge now defunked head or prospective hip. You are left with a a dead ended stalk. OK this will die back, at the sdame time looking ugly. OK. You have a dead head. Not far below is probably a pair of leaves, these might be thin and weedy looking, so go down a bot more. Now perpaps the growth is stronger looking. OK cut just above the joint. The new growth wil be so much stronger. Always cut close to a joint avoiding later dead ends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Whatever the type of rose, dead heading remains the same. The objective is to remove the now dead flower. Logically if you simply cut off or pull off rge now defunked head or prospective hip. You are left with a a dead ended stalk. OK this will die back, at the sdame time looking ugly. OK. You have a dead head. Not far below is probably a pair of leaves, these might be thin and weedy looking, so go down a bot more. Now perpaps the growth is stronger looking. OK cut just above the joint. The new growth wil be so much stronger. Always cut close to a joint avoiding later dead ends.
You would not believe the time I spend properly dead heading clients Roses, so many people here just snap off the dead blooms leaving a stalk or worse still a torn stalk, I do make the point that it looks terrible and that they should cut back to a leaf producing joint, only this morning I did exactly as above..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Robert, you should post more here! Love your input!;)

Ask a Question