Confirmation on shrub identification please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could someone confirm what shrub this is please, I believe its an Escallonia, it has (had) white flowers and serrated leaves, some of which are turning slightly yellow, it seems very overgrown with thick internal growth (like a budlia) but I just want to check with the experts please thank you to anyone who can help a novice gardener.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210820-005757_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210820-005757_Gallery.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210819_165722.jpg
    20210819_165722.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, this is an Escallonia cv. Many Escallonia cultivars are of hybrid origin. The species are native to South America, especially Chile.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much Marck! Hero! This is the first time ive posted on a forum and I was a little nervous but I'm so happy and gratefull to have received your reply and glad you have confirmed my initial identification! Do you know if this can be given a hard prune and still be ok as it is very overgrown?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, Escallonia can take fairly heavy pruning. Summer is the best time to prune so that the plant has time to recover for Winter and prepare its buds for Spring flowering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could someone confirm what shrub this is please, I believe its an Escallonia, it has (had) white flowers and serrated leaves, some of which are turning slightly yellow, it seems very overgrown with thick internal growth (like a budlia) but I just want to check with the experts please thank you to anyone who can help a novice gardener.
Yes Escallonia Iveyi or similar. It is the most tender but it‘s not too late to cut it back. In my limited experience the spots and yellowing on the leaves are nothing to worry about. if you want to reduce it’s size drastically it might be better to wait until spring after the last frost.

Ask a Question