Don’t know how to thin out and preserve this shrub

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, my first post, please forgive me if my forum etiquette is not 100% correct, here goes,
We moved in to this new house 6 months ago, the garden has been constantly worked on and changed however we now need some good advice.

We have several shrubs that have a lot of new growth coming out of the ground, whats the best way to deal with this to avoid, for want of a better word, Chaos. thanks. Will try and attach photos.
C7250D93-B828-44EF-94F1-7C2D30C146DF.jpeg
D5B59CED-0C0B-452E-90AE-DD34D2A9957E.jpeg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No expert. But

you might need to find out what tree that is.

Is this the right time to prune it? Pruning at the wrong time could be detrimental

How much to take away so as NOT to murder the buds for next year's happiness

As a rule of thumb: take away any inward growing branches, remove diseased branches and make sure the air flow is free and generous.

I will leave the rest to the real expert.

Looks like a syringa? You see, I'm no expert.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom
No expert. But

Is this the right time to prune it? Pruning at the wrong time could be detrimental

As a rule of thumb: take away any inward growing branches, remove diseased branches and make sure the air flow is free and generous.

Many thanks
No expert. But

many thanks for that, yes it is a lilac, we also have a white lilac 4 metres away, the smell of the flowers a few weeks ago reminded me of Jasmine.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
So now you can google or youtube.. I did say I'm no expert.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @LythamRed and welcome to the forums :) You have a nicely overgrown Syringa there (lilac) and whenever any of mine get as big and untidy as that I usually get the saw to them and cut all the big stuff right down low. You`ll notice that they sucker rather well and will continue to hog as much space as they can get, which in my book is great because the perfume is fantastic, and we have plenty of room here.
When this grows again, which it will do very readily you would probably do best to keep it to the height of the fence each year after it has finished flowering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom
@Tetters many thanks for that, it has just stopped flowering this last 10 days so will get to it with my saw tomorrow, down to fence height and pull out all the undergrowth.
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I meant take the big trunks (fat bits) right out to ground level, as they`ll look ugly if you leave those at fence height. In future trim the lot to fence height. how about posting a picture when the job`s done? Hopefully we`ll have some rain and it will be a bit cooler in the next few days - it`ll make it easier to work. It`s been so stuffy down here in Kent.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
There are about 20 known species of Syringa (Lilac). Pruning times vary. From experience. Although lilac produces suckers quite freely, I have noticed that the volume of such suckers rapidly increase when the tree/shrub reaches it's growth height. A point about the suckers. Yes in time they will flower, but it mayt take a while. I removed a few from a tree IMO, an outgrown shrub, cultivated them and it took some twent years for them to flower, albeit by this time a large shrub had developed.

As Tetter said. Perhaps use the height of the fence as a height guide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom
There are about 20 known species of Syringa (Lilac). Pruning times vary. From experience. Although lilac produces suckers quite freely, I have noticed that the volume of such suckers rapidly increase when the tree/shrub reaches it's growth height. A point about the suckers. Yes in time they will flower, but it mayt take a while. I removed a few from a tree IMO, an outgrown shrub, cultivated them and it took some twent years for them to flower, albeit by this time a large shrub had developed.

As Tetter said. Perhaps use the height of the fence as a height guide.
Thanks Mike

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all, have thinned out the shrub quite a bit, looking bettter and will be easier to control.

Attachments

• 826514C4-6ABC-4281-B66C-8072E651E3E1.jpeg
    826514C4-6ABC-4281-B66C-8072E651E3E1.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 27

Ask a Question