Butterfly Watch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It was heartbreaking because I tried so hard to protect them. The "nest" was a heap of stones on the ground and the babies were running around within hours of hatching, so they were pretty vulnerable. During the period we had eggs or babies in the garden I kept their territory roped off and watched our garden service closely to see that they didn't get too close to them. But in the end there was nothing I could do.

It's so disheartening, but there really is only so much we can do isn't there?

It really DOESN'T sound much different from raising human children!!

Oh, yeah... like how there were seven monarch caterpillars and they all crawled off somewhere? I have found 2 chrysalises so far, but heaven only knows what happened to the rest.

There were two little swallowtails - one crawled off, couldn't find it and today when I was deadheading the marigolds there it was in it's cocoon. The other one seemed ready to pupate - stayed in the same spot almost 24 hours - then it disappeared. Later found in among the leaves on another marigold plant.

Two words: high maintenance! LOL

Still finding swallow babies on the parsley so I need to make another trip to the nursery for more dill and fennel. Also starting two carrot tops to see if they'll grow since I only need the greens anyway (swallows eat anything in the carrot family). Going to let all the milkweed completely leaf out again before leaving one out for egg layers.

Reaction score
You are the true butterfly whisperer ChanellG! Wonderful pictures. Oh yes and thank you for showing the difference between the male and the female. I never knew this. I am really wnating to get some butterfly friendly bushes/flowers for our yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You are the true butterfly whisperer ChanellG! Wonderful pictures. Oh yes and thank you for showing the difference between the male and the female. I never knew this. I am really wnating to get some butterfly friendly bushes/flowers for our yard.

My pleasure! If you do get milkweed, you may want to have more than one plant and you may want to keep extras isolated. Monarchs eat a lot and grow really fast. They have a life cycle of about 28 days and in that time will eat as many leaves!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have found 2 chrysalises so far, but heaven only knows what happened to the rest.

You know that new pair of ear rings that you were suddenly wearing but didn't remember putting on?...........:D

Reaction score
My pleasure! If you do get milkweed, you may want to have more than one plant and you may want to keep extras isolated. Monarchs eat a lot and grow really fast. They have a life cycle of about 28 days and in that time will eat as many leaves!

I will most certainly keep that wonderful tidbit of information in mind!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Four butterflies yesterday - all girls! Then one more today, a boy :) That's 5 caterpillars accounted for out of the 7. Drives me nuts when they crawl off some place else to pupate.

Reaction score
Well, it hasn't invited any butterflies or hummingbirds yet, but our butterfly bush in finally blossoming! I've been watching it's small, purple buds creeping out during the last week. Yesterday, as I had my coffee on the deck, I looked up just as the morning sun hit the blossoms. They seemed to be lit from inside. SO beautiful!!! I was worried about this little one because we planted it late last year and had to build the dirt up around it. We did cover it's base well with straw to keep it from freezing. It's now probably four times the size it was last year when it was given to us. I'm loving it!! And the friend who gave us THAT just gave me another plant last night: a Beauty Berry Bush. She said it won't blossom again this year but the leaves turn a beautiful silver in the fall and next year it will have flowers, then berries for the birds in the winter. So neat to have things like this to look forward to!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...Yesterday, as I had my coffee on the deck, I looked up just as the morning sun hit the blossoms. They seemed to be lit from inside. SO beautiful!!! ...So neat to have things like this to look forward to!!

Isn't it though? I was doing yard work again yesterday and had a surprise visit from a giant swallowtail that apparently loves Virginia Creeper. The vine is such a nuisance, but I am going to have to find a way to contain it and keep some for the bees and this beautiful butterfly!

1150816_10201610938772987_740754970_n.jpg

Ask a Question