Papilio cresphontes (bird poop caterpillar) or swallowtail butterfly larvae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Yes indeedy, neem oil sprayed on the leaves of a host plant will kill the caterpillars when they start to eat it. I use neem oil, but only as a soil drench and never spray it on leaves. And, i don't use it when there are caterpillars in the garden. Papilio cresphontes? Do you have them in your garden? I am so surprised and would love to see a photo of the caterpillar and the butterfly. They are often abundant here. I think our caterpillars will look the same, but the butterflies will look different. You will find the larvae on any of the rutaceaes (citrus). Those are the only plants you will find the caterpillars eating. They generally pupate on other plants or inorganic places (like chairs and such) when they stop eating. Still, i don't want them anywhere neem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Here is what the new world papilio cresphontes looks like:
Newly hatched caterpillar with half eaten egg
P1000500.JPG

Mature caterpillar
P1010250.JPG

Chrysalis
P1010264.JPG

Fresh, newly eclosed adult butterfly
IMG_2939.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
And well, if i might add, just the sweetest caterpillar you would ever have the pleasure to meet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Okay, nothing happened to the caterpillar. Either the neem oil or dose (1/4 gallon water: 5ml) was ineffective.

It does not matter if caterpillar eat few leaves from the big tree. but it might kill the new seedlings.

Anyway, here are few pic I shot.

This guy taking rest ,after morning meal, on lower ring of Curry leaf tree (Bergera koenigii) to avoid scorching sun.
333333 (2).jpg
333333 (1).jpg 333333 (4).jpg

Another guy on the same tree, lets see if you can find it in the pic below.

333333 (6).jpg

This tiny guy on Bel leaf (Aegle marmelos)
333333 (7).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Very nice:) The Neem may not kill right away and may have other consequences such as difficulty shedding skins (which will kill them) or difficulties pupating (which will kill them) or even difficulties reproducing after they are adult butterflies or have some other deformations, if they make it that far. But they look quite healthy to me now. I doubt they will be a problem to new seedlings. Unlike humans, i have never seen a butterfly larva(e) kill a source of sustenance. I have seen them eat dirt, before killing a food plant. They may strip the plant, but they will not kill it. Actually these little guys are relatively delicate eaters. If you have several rutaceaes and don't want them eating one or two of them, you can place them on a more mature rutaceae and they will just keep eating. Make sure your hands are clean when gently picking them up though because they are susceptible to skin diseases. Also, you do not want to crowd them too closely together.

Yes! i do see some differences between the Papilio c. neotropical and the ones that you have on the continent. I will be so interested to see your butterfly.

The larger ones will have already shed skins two or three times so it looks like that may not be a problem. And even the tiny one has shed at least once.

No, i only see one guy in the 2nd full-sized photo. Is he in focus?o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hmmmm, are you sure the species is cresphontes? I don't see it existing in the Old World in a google search. There are a few different species that have "bird poop" caterpillars and i think it might be one of the other species? What do you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Yep, I have heard that neem oil affect insects and may bring change in their hormone system.

I do spray weekly once to keep, aphids , grasshoppers and ants away (on newly planted and delicate plants)

I am having trouble in growing basil now, The soil contains too much of weeds seeds, when I water on seed bed a new weed sprout up that looks like basil but leaf smells like soil/grass.

I really not sure which species the caterpillar is, but to do have two bright red osmeteria that shows up when its touched and the bird poop like appearance.

(May be) I am planning to create a small glass box for it, I will feed it with young leaf, that is not sprayed, Of course I will also keep a thick old branch to build cocoon on it.:D

As you said it might not become a butterfly after eating sprayed leaf.(n)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
All Swallowtail butterflies have osmeterium ranging in color from yellow to orange to red. They never put them out to me when i pick them up, but i am careful not to pick them up when they are shedding or otherwise indisposed. The Danaus butterflies show their displeasure by banging their heads against a trunk or branch. They don't like being watered along with a plant and i learned this by looking down and seeing a group of them all banging their heads:eek: The communication was clear and i was more careful about getting them wet after that. When they are wet, they are more susceptible to skin diseases. Butterflies have always surprised me by their will and life force and they can be surprisingly strong. I thought perhaps the butterflies in India might have an immunity to Neem because of the thousands of years it has been used there. I don't know, just a thought. Butterflies are close to the bottom of the food chain and although they have clever ways of self protection, just about everything wants to eat them and the survival rate is quite low, so don't feel too badly if your butterfly does not survive...you will have learned something anyway. You don't need an enclosed box if you want to try to save one or two. As long as they are eating they will not leave a food source. I have raised a few in eminent danger in rather large margarita glasses, on the patio (away from predators) with a paper or cotton napkin lining for traction, very successfully. It will be clear when they want to pupate, because they will stop eating the food you provide. A nice thick stick will be appreciated. Just don't keep them enclosed. They need good air circulation.

As for your Basil problem, you might want to grow them in pots and transplant them later. If i recall correctly, Basil will transplant quite nicely (but you might want to get a 2nd opinion on that).

I hear India's one volcano on Barren Island has recently become active. I have heard it called a mud volcano and don't exactly know how they are active. Although i doubt you are close enough to be effected. I have a volcano too and all the explosions and ash have caused the butterflies to go live somewhere else. It seems strange not having them in the garden, but i remain prepared for them if/when they decide to return:).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
They grow up fast.
3333 (1).jpg 3333 (2).jpg

little out of focus, taken with old camera (Picture taken from new camera needs to be compressed as large picture takes a hell of a lot of time to upload.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
They grow up fast.
Oh my goodness!!! They change color and features...this is very exciting. My caterpillars remain as bird poop. I did some research regarding the species of your caterpillar. I was seeing some (or maybe it was only one) that changed from bird poop to green and i thought that we may then know the species. I can't tell you right now because i wrote it on a piece of paper (that litter my computer table) and it will take a little time for me to find it. Wow, sooo cool. I have never seen a caterpillar change so dramatically in the final instar(s?). It has come this far, i'm sure you will get a butterfly. It will soon wander off looking for a place to pupate. They are very fussy about this. Watch your step! Possible it will remain on the host plant if it has not attracted predators there. Otherwise it will stop eating and go on "walk about".:D:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Also, if you don't want your caterpillars eating your other citrus plants that produce fruit, they will also grow well on Ruta graveolens, I grew a lime tree and ruta graveolens and the caterpillars showed a preference for the Ruta gravelolens (Common Rue). They did not bother the Lime tree unless the Rue plants were full, and that was very rare.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I read somewhere that butterfly can taste with their feet, I think that was rubbish as today I saw them laying eggs, They don't even bother to sit on leaf, they just throw eggs like paint ball. They lay eggs while they are hovering over leaves

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andree12

Latest Threads