Butterfly Field Of Dreams

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I was inspired by another member to do a combination butterfly & native plant garden. The area is 25'x25' and contained 14 individual beds. The framing has since rotted out and the area is overgrown. It has been planted a a veggie garden several times ( animals enjoyed the salad bar) as well as a formal garden. The biggest problem is clearing the beds of the grasses that were planted as well as an invasive Clematis vine and honeysuckle. Photos of the area as cleanup was started. The garden has 2 beds of peonies as well as 3 beds of raspberries and blackberries.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    429.4 KB · Views: 364
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
field of dreams 013.JPG
field of dreams 010.JPG
field of dreams 011.JPG
field of dreams 012.JPG

Getting everything cleared out and getting an idea of what to put where. The big issue is going to be the ongoing problem with the area. We live in the woods! Deer, rabbits, groundhogs ,opposums etc. I'm trying to fence the area but not have it look like a prison yard. So far, deer netting with reflective tape. I have some old wrought iron railing I'm planning on using . Metal garden fencing for the berry areas. The deer got the berries once already. The 2 week period of rain and humidity has ended so working on getting plants in and fence up.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Mrsclem Gee! You've worked hard and such a lovely transformation. Lovely the electric blue salvias. I hope you haven't got rid of your peonies as you can plant things on top of them and they will come back next year. For example, Petunias or other annuals. Hope someone helps solve your problems. Keep up with the good work and I look forward to see your butterfly and bloom garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What a great project! I'm looking forward to hearing more about it :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
What a project Mrsclem! You've done a wonderful job. Looking forward to watching it grow. I'm sure you won't let it "grow" like it had before:confused:;)

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Wow! Really it is amazing job! I really appreciate it! You had put a lot of effort to it but I think it was worth! I also like idea with the name - it really attracts attention!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love your jungle! That's a beautiful take and cheers me up no end. Haven't been feeling very well after the shopping. Nice flowers too.

Ask a Question