Butterfly Watch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have been going out to look at my milkweed and count the caterpillars daily (okay a few times a day, lol). If I get out at the right time of day (morning) I will be lucky enough to count them all. If it's too early, or too hot, I may miss them. Today I guess I was out at the exact right moment because I counted at least nine of varying sizes!

At present there are two chrysalises that will be butterflies in a matter of days (yay!) and at least one caterpillar that should be ready to pupate within the week. It's so cool to see them grow , I can't wait for the first butterfly to emerge.

If you look carefully below, you can see three or four caterpillars and a chrysalis.

IMG_0917 (2).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is really wonderful, I love butterflies, they're the most beautiful creatures. At the zoo near my home there is a special room where exotic butterflies fly among people and you can also watch them pupate, it's a lot of fun:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Looking forward to seeing your butterflies Chanell.

Reaction score
This is really wonderful, I love butterflies, they're the most beautiful creatures. At the zoo near my home there is a special room where exotic butterflies fly among people and you can also watch them pupate, it's a lot of fun:D

We have the same here, Claudine. It is such a joy to wandering through that seemingly tiny room, with all the heavily flowered plants surrounding you and butterflies flitting about! They have a separate section for the ones in chrysalis stage so you can watch the different stages of development. It's just an awesome sight! And Chanell has it right under her nose each day!! Cool!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There was a butterfly exhibit at the zoo here a while ago. I was babysitting and I took the child to the zoo and the got the thrill of her life when a butterfly landed on her shoulder just before we left. It was a temporary exhibit, but now there is apparently an enclosed butterfly garden at the Insectarium. I have yet to make it down there, but now I guess I have a little extra incentive.

Reaction score
There was a butterfly exhibit at the zoo here a while ago. I was babysitting and I took the child to the zoo and the got the thrill of her life when a butterfly landed on her shoulder just before we left. It was a temporary exhibit, but now there is apparently an enclosed butterfly garden at the Insectarium. I have yet to make it down there, but now I guess I have a little extra incentive.

I used to take a class of children to our butterfly house (4 year olds). I was to discover that there are, not only children, but ADULTS who are very afraid of butterflies! I know there is no accounting for fears and phobias but I'd never even considered that a butterfly was something anyone would be afraid of! I'm glad your little person was able to enjoy the experience of being the butterfly's perch!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ROFLOL! Okay, so maybe it's not funny, but... What the heck is there to be afraid of from a butterfly? They don't bite! We're more of a danger to them than the other way around... I can't imagine what kind of experience would cause someone to be afraid of a butterfly. Wow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ROFLOL! Okay, so maybe it's not funny, but... What the heck is there to be afraid of from a butterfly? They don't bite! We're more of a danger to them than the other way around... I can't imagine what kind of experience would cause someone to be afraid of a butterfly. Wow.

I have two friends that are completely terrified of butterflies even though they don't have any unpleasant experiences with them. Many phobias are weird I guess.
Maybe butterflies seem so scary to some people because they have legs like spiders? Lol:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have two friends that are completely terrified of butterflies even though they don't have any unpleasant experiences with them. Many phobias are weird I guess.
Maybe butterflies seem so scary to some people because they have legs like spiders? Lol:p

I don't know Claudine, but I think there are far too many things in life that you should have a healthy fear of to be afraid of a poor little butterfly that has no power to harm you.

True indeed, Looking forward to seeing your butterflies! Don't forget to update here..

The first one emerged today!

IMG_0939.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
No! By the time I got outside it was already out :-(

I kept seeing something move in the corner of my eye so I got up to go and look and there it was. It must have emerged during the night (though that seems odd) because it's wings were completely dry for it to fly away before lunch.

There is one more that should emerge between Sunday and Tuesday. I'm going to move it indoors so I can keep an eye on it. Have to hurry and build that butterfly habitat!

Reaction score
Oh wow! You know about my love for butterflies. I am always photographing butterflies. They are the most beautiful things next to the flowers in your garden. Lucky you.. :) I whish I could have some butterflies being birthed in my garden.. they do come here but I never see an caterpillars or pupae in my plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Beautiful! I'm so pleased you got to see it before it flew away, hopefully you'll see the next one as it emerges!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Beautiful! I'm so pleased you got to see it before it flew away, hopefully you'll see the next one as it emerges!

Thanks Becky! I have two containers I am shifting between each day for the caterpillars (I put them in one so I can clean the other), but I am trying to figure out how to bring the pupae indoors so I don't miss it. Then again, I have seven caterpillars, lol.

Oh wow! You know about my love for butterflies. I am always photographing butterflies. They are the most beautiful things next to the flowers in your garden. Lucky you.. :) I whish I could have some butterflies being birthed in my garden.. they do come here but I never see an caterpillars or pupae in my plants.

Maddie, do you have Monarchs and Swallowtails near your home? You should find out what plant your favorite butterfly lays eggs on and get a couple of those going. My milkweed plants came with eggs already - actually, they came with three fairly large caterpillars also, but my mom was so traumatized by the ones eating her tomatoes she made me leave them in the store, lol!

I kept telling her Monarchs only eat milkweed, but she wasn't having it. The funny thing is, when I separated the milkweed and repotted the three plants, only my plant seems to have been loaded with eggs. Her plants are twice as tall as mine because they got to grow without being munched on.

Next year I'll grow fennel, dill, and maybe parsley for the swallowtails.

Ask a Question