Will butterfly flower self seed itself?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I actually bought milkweed seeds yesterday! Quick question, will the milkweed spread out and produce more and more of itself? I hope so because I would rather not keep buying seeds if it self sows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
If this is what we call Asklepias, then yes. I collect seeds in our northern climate.
IMG_6981.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I actually bought milkweed seeds yesterday! Quick question, will the milkweed spread out and produce more and more of itself? I hope so because I would rather not keep buying seeds if it self sows.

Yes, but some milkweed species self-seed better than others. If you collect the pods when they ripen, just before they pop open and the seeds go flying away in the wind, you can separate the seed from the "fluff" that it uses to fly away and scatter the seeds wherever you want them. Then, you have a great chance for new plants to grow. If you have a specie that spreads by rhizomes (most do, but some spread slower than others), then you'll get new plants that way, too.

Sometimes Large Milkweed Bugs will suck the juices out of the seeds. It can be frustrating if you're wanting to collect good seeds, but it's important to remember that the Large Milkweed Bug is just like the Monarch. It requires milkweed to survive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Larisa, yes it is the same. People call it milkweed (common name) in the US and Canada (and maybe UK, not sure). The genus is Asclepias and there are a variety of species. Nice to hear that it grows at your house too :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
A viridiflora.jpg

This is Asclipias viridiflora known as green milkweed. It grows in our pasture, and we are careful not to mow it down when the Monarchs are migrating.
A viridiflora.jpg

We get instars (caterpillars) on the milkweed, then they go into pupae stage and develop into Monarch butterflies.
Stage 5 Instar.jpg

We also have Antelope Horn milkweed (Asclepias asperula) that the Monarchs use. Mowing in the spring and early summer is more of an exercise in avoiding plants than taking them down!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Larisa Wow you grow this too, inside or outside as an annual? Once this plant starts to bloom, it never stops and it is so cheerful, the hummingbirds love the nectar. When i posted the photo i thought it would be a good test for you if you could identify all the plants, or parts of plants...but then i thought no, that is just silly:LOL: But i am impressed that you know it is a Pachystachys and not a yellow Justicia brandegeeana. They are very similar and often confused :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@CrazyConure there will be two species of Monarch caterpillars that will feed on your milkweed plants. The Monarch (Danaus plexippus) and the Queen (a close relative of the Monarch Danaus gilippus). The Queen is found in Florida and south Texas in the US but doesn't travel much further north. Here are some pics of what you can expect to see in the way of caterpillars, but remember the milkweeds are popular nectar plants for all butterflies, hummingbirds, wasps, bees.
Very young Monarch caterpillar
P1000948.JPG

Mature Monarch caterpillar
P1000957.JPG

Monarch Pupa
P1000959.JPG

Monarch chrysalis
P1000966.JPG

Queen caterpillar (note 3 sets of antennae)
P1000676.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@Beverly Pachystachys Pahistahis is very common here, but as a plant inside the house. I also love him for his long flowering. I did not know that the hummingbird pollinated him. :love:
Other plants? Let's watch.
P1010048 (1) - копия.JPG
Liana with orange flowers is Senecio confusus, Mexican Flame Vine. Here you can buy seeds in the "exotic plant store" or small plants from collectors. I really like the plant, but the size is a little scary for me. (n) :)
A plant with pink flowers, probably Jatropha Multifida.
Well, a palm tree, most likely, Chamaedorea.
I envy you a little for the good, because you can grow such wonderful plants in your garden. In addition, Mexico is home to some species of Achimenes, the hybrids of which I really love.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:) The Pachystachys is species "lutea" and very likely the same one that you have. It may have pollinators other than hummingbirds. The ants like this plant too and could also be pollinators, i'm not sure. Yes, bravo, Senecio confusus (Mexican Flame Vine) the scientific name has recently changed to Pseudogynoxys chenopodioides but i still call it Senecio. I can't imagine trying to grow this vine indoors but i am sure some clever people have managed to do it. The blooms are fragrant and attract all nectar lovers. The palm is Dypsis lutescens that grows well as a house plant (common name in english is Areca Palm). You didn't get to see very much of that one and it is similar to the Chamaedorea but grows much larger and more quickly. Jatropha multifida, exactly! You didn't get to see much of that one either.:) By the way, the little vine starting to climb up the ladder behind the Pachystachys is a vine from Costa Rica (Dalechampia dioscoreifolia). I had cut it back because of some plague and it is starting to grow again. Here is a photo of the flower. Your knowledge is amazing and i will know who to ask when i have questions about tropical plants.(y)
P1000078.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@Beverly I remembered that I saw Dalechampia dioscoreifolia in a Russian forum. The woman always cut the plant and grew it like a bush. I'm not such a fan! :D
Of course, it looks much better in the garden.
141173793779223538.jpg

I think I too can learn a lot from you. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Larisa...ohhhh, this is a very different plant than the one i have. The leaves actually look like the leaves of what we think is a Theobroma cacao tree (a Malvaceae). The Dalechampia d. i have is a Euphorb and the leaves are hairy not smooth and not so large and not so deeply veined. All parts of Euphorbs are toxic and the leaves give me an itchy rash. I have it in the garden because it is a host plant for a type of butterfly here and also i think it makes a very pretty vine with lots of color. I don't know what to think of the plant in the photo. It doesn't even look like the same genus never mind species. Now, i am so very curious:rolleyes:. I am certain about the identity of my vine. I think i will look up "Dalechampia species" and see if i can find something similar. To me, it looks like someone attached a flower from one plant onto a different plant.:cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Larisa I found it! Looks like Dalechampia roezliana leaves and all. What do you think?
https://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/dalechampia_roezliana.htm

I have never seen this species before and the site says it is rare in cultivation so that might be why. It is much smaller than its relative the dioscoreifolia and so would be easier to grow as a house plant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@Beverly Yes, certainly. This is the type of Dalechampia roezliana. You're doing fine! How interesting!

Today I saw on sale this kind. It's Dalechampia dioscoreifolia. Liana, as you have. I also think that at home it is difficult to grow. Only for the love of art. :D

не.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I have never really explored the world of the Euphorbs but i learned when exploring the Dalechampias a little bit, that it is quite a diverse world. I think one Euphorb in my small garden is enough:) Oh, i guess the Jatropha are Euphorbs and i have a multifida and integerrima so i will have to say 3 Euphorbs are enough for my small garden:oops:

Last edited:

Ask a Question