Butterfly Watch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, It's such a gorgeous butterfly, it looks like a flower!
As for phobias - if it was possible to stop being scared only by saying to yourself that there is no logical reason to be scared, life would be so much easier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ChanellG, It's such a gorgeous butterfly, it looks like a flower!
As for phobias - if it was possible to stop being scared only by saying to yourself that there is no logical reason to be scared, life would be so much easier.

Claudine, it is possible; that is why therapists exist. It doesn't mean you stop being scared instantly, but by facing your fears and repeating to yourself there is nothing to fear but fear itself, (and taking some other steps) fear can be obliterated. It happens all the time.

Reaction score
Channel I do have a whole lot of flowers that attract butterflies.. They come here but don't breed on my plants. Maybe I should find the plants they love to breed on. Now, that calls for some research.. as we don't have milkweed here. I know that we have all kinds of butterflies coming here, however the commonest ones are the Danaus chrysippus . Here is a picture of one.
Danaus%20chrysippus%2000121-001a.jpg

The striped Tiger or the (Danaus genutia) is very common here in my garden.

3928468904_25243f962c.jpg

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

pixel.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Very nice, Maddie. It looks a lot like the photo of the female monarch you posted below it. I'm not sure how to tell what plant it would lay eggs on; I looked it up and came across this: http://www.learnaboutbutterflies.com/India - Danaus chrysippus.htm

It's an interesting article but doesn't talk about the host plants. There is more than one kind of milkweed; the monarch feeds on the tropical one. Your tiger must have come from someplace nearby - unless it is migrating. In which case the butterfly can exist on nectar from your flowers, but the caterpillar needs it's specific food.

Does crown flower (AKA giant milkweed) grow anywhere near you?

1280px-CrownFlower.jpg

According to this it's a host plant for the plain tiger: http://www.nss.org.sg/project/bto/doc/nss_bto_map_jan2011.pdf

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine, it is possible; that is why therapists exist. It doesn't mean you stop being scared instantly, but by facing your fears and repeating to yourself there is nothing to fear but fear itself, (and taking some other steps) fear can be obliterated. It happens all the time.

I'm not scared of butterflies, I love them, but I have other weird phobias and believe me, therapists and all this talking about facing fears works only in theory. The reality isn't this simple.

In my garden, there are a lot of butterflies that look like this one, unfortunately they don't breed here:

motyl%20%20pawie%20oczko.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's a Peacock Butterfly, they breed here Claudine.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The second butterfly emerged this morning. It's another boy :)

1045117_10201242873771592_350085627_n.jpg

I'm not scared of butterflies, I love them, but I have other weird phobias and believe me, therapists and all this talking about facing fears works only in theory. The reality isn't this simple.

I never said you were afraid of them; you said you had friends who were. I said that fears can be overcome with the help of a therapist. If you like I could give you a list of people who have either been helped or who helped someone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That's a Peacock Butterfly, they breed here Claudine.:)

Yes, I know that in general they breed in our climate zone, what I meant is that they don't breed in my garden:p . I haven't noticed any caterpillars nor chrysalises:(

ChanellG - I can tell you from my own experience that help of a therapist isn't worth much. If it doesn't convince you, I don't know what could. Every person is different and every phobia is different. There are no simple ways.

Reaction score
Very nice, Maddie. It looks a lot like the photo of the female monarch you posted below it. I'm not sure how to tell what plant it would lay eggs on; I looked it up and came across this: http://www.learnaboutbutterflies.com/India - Danaus chrysippus.htm

It's an interesting article but doesn't talk about the host plants. There is more than one kind of milkweed; the monarch feeds on the tropical one. Your tiger must have come from someplace nearby - unless it is migrating. In which case the butterfly can exist on nectar from your flowers, but the caterpillar needs it's specific food.

Does crown flower (AKA giant milkweed) grow anywhere near you?

1280px-CrownFlower.jpg

According to this it's a host plant for the plain tiger: http://www.nss.org.sg/project/bto/doc/nss_bto_map_jan2011.pdf
http://www.nss.org.sg/project/bto/doc/nss_bto_map_jan2011.pdf
Thanks for doing the research for me.. :) Yeah, there is a huge bush behind my apartment complex. I must go and check it out one of these days. However, these are real wild plants more like giant shrubs. I cannot have them in my balcony lol :)

Ask a Question