Bunny fertilizer

Reaction score
When we had rabbits we used their droppings too with great results. So my vote is 'yes' for bunny poop :D

Reaction score
LOL bring on the bunnies! What a great animal. They are cute and quiet, reqiure very little care and provide wonder soil amendments AND they taste GREAT!

Reaction score
Look how the wheel spins :)) I have bunnies now! My brother just bought 3 Belgian rabbits from Hungary :D

Reaction score
I was told that if the animal eats meat then you shouldnt use that animals droppings as fertilizer but if they are on a vegiterian diet then its good to go. I dont know if this is an actual fact but it makes sense. Its like a natural compost. That means that my dogs little blessings cant be used in the garden since the dry dog food has meat as an ingredient. Chicken and turkey droppings are supposed to be really good for your gardening needs too. My Grandma swears by turkey mulch for her garden.

Reaction score
I am sometimes lazy when it comes to composting so I have been know to clean the pens straight into the garden. This is fine for bunny waste, but you have to be careful with chicken and turkey, it is much hotter.

Reaction score
Here come the bunnies! Hurray, hurray!
DSCF5011.jpg
DSCF5021.jpg

Reaction score
I love bunny to watch but i don't want to raise them up. I love to care my kafy (cat) and love dogs to keep as my pet but not bunny.

Reaction score
Don't let them be free, they get too many problems if left to roam. One of the reasons they are so clean is because they are up off the ground in cages where the poop falls through. No contamination problems or parasits. They don't look sad to me, they look very cute and well cared for, I see they have pellets and hay and are kept safe from predators. You can give them toys if you want, they will play with them.

Are these pets or food?

Reaction score
Please, don't get rabbits without researching! You should never get any species without researching on reputable websites and forums online. Rabbits United has a lot of information on their care. They really aren't the simple pets that people always says they are. Rabbits are easy to care for badly. They usually require more vet trips than the average dog or cat, they're prone to stasis (gut problems) and dental problems, they need to be spayed or neutered for their own health and in some countries they need myxi and VHD vaccinations. They don't need vaccinations in the US or Canada though (there is no myxi or VHD in North America). I've had rabbits my entire life and know a lot about them, so you can PM me for info if you want.

Also, never ever set pets free. That's cruel. They would die very quickly from predators and pet rabbits are domestic European rabbits. They don't belong in the wild and they could very well become invasive. Never let them loose in your yard either. There are countless predators that would quickly make a meal out of them, in daytime or nighttime. It's not worth the risk.

Today I remembered to add some bunny poop to my tomato and bell pepper plants! I'll have to see if I notice an improvement when using bunny poop as fertilizer!

Reaction score
Wow, my rabbits have never had a trip to the vets, but my dog sure has. In my book they ARE easy and a great source of clean meat. So you would not want to spay or neuter your rabbits if you are breeding them as a food source. I have never had gut issues, I feed a quality rabbit pellet along with hay, they are thriving. I do give them the tree branch or raspberry cane for them to chew on, so far no dental issues...in the summer they get a lot of fresh greens from my garden and just love them, I have never had issues with that either, of course I don't give them things that am told are not good for them..

Reaction score
@ Shirley They have enough space. That one is in a cage because it's under treatment.
Uf course I'll tell my brother to take all that money he spent on them and let it be free on a field. Don't take this the wrong way and no offense.

Reaction score
I am sometimes lazy when it comes to composting so I have been know to clean the pens straight into the garden. This is fine for bunny waste, but you have to be careful with chicken and turkey, it is much hotter.

Hotter? Do you treat "hotter" animal waste differently in a compost pile? I have a lot to learn here.

Ask a Question