Bunny fertilizer

j.w

Reaction score
They will eat the bark off young trees and I've had to put screen around the new ones I've just acquired if I don't want to lose them to bunny teeth. Seems my cats do a good job of keeping them away during daylight hours but when the cats away I'm sure the bunnies play!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
my bunnies so far are well behaved .I throw all the veggie scraps out for them and every time I look out by the guest house there they are munching away on the scraps .They even like bread .I made some homemade and well left one loaf in the oven a little to long .Well it was fine in the middle :p:oops:

j.w

Reaction score
I was out walking the other day and everywhere I walked and I walked quite aways down different streets I saw loaves of bread. Some were still in the wrapper so I unwrapped them as I walked so the critters could get at them easier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
oh oh me thinks bread truck did not close his doors lol

j.w

Reaction score
Ha Ha sissy I might thing that was the case if we had any stores to deliver to up here. I think it was just some kind soul feeding the critters cuz most of the bread was unwrapped. Looked like nice bread too as it was uncut type sourdough or similar. Yum...........no I didn't take a bite,lol!
Wait as I was writing this something just came to mind. There is an old guy down the road aways who gets old bread from bread stores to feed his cows and he just throws it into the back of his old pickup truck. Some could have fell out along the way maybe?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
yeh Marty the cow farmer across from me does that he said the yeast in the bread is good for the cows ,can't remember why .

Reaction score
Bunnies and birds are the only wildlife in my neighborhood. No big trees to encourage coons or squirrels. I love them though! Don't think I could ever do it with the dogs around, but my aunt and uncle used to have the wild bunnies tamed enough in their yard that they would eat right out of your hand. It was the coolest thing when we would go to visit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I lived in NJ I had a squirrel that used to knock on my kitchen window to get his treats and if he did not get them he would go to every window in the house until someone fed him .I always wonder what happened after I sold it what the new people did .I told them about him and they thought it was cute .They were moving there from NY city so country life was appealing to them

j.w

Reaction score
There is a restaurant not far from here out in the country called The Eatery where they have tons of free roaming bunnies all over the place. There is a resort there also called Skagit River Resort. They have little houses built for them and they feed them.

SKAGIT RIVER RESORT
The Bunny Story
At present we have between 50 and 175 bunnies, more or less, that live in harmony at Clark’s. But this wasn’t always so. Our story begins on Friday Harbor, an island in the nearby San Juan chain. Some years ago someone released a few rabbits on the island—probably pets. There were no natural predators on the island, and yes, the rabbit population exploded. The islanders called for help—anyone, come hunt these rabbits! Rudy and Tootsie, and friends, went to the island each year to help the islanders and bring back rabbit for the freezer.
LawnBunnies.jpg
About 1961 when the group of friends made the trip, Rudy decided to catch a few live rabbits to raise at home. Bob Wiley drove the car through the fields and Rudy sat on the fender with a net in his hands. It was dangerous, but they had great fun. He caught about 1/2 dozen. On the ferry ride home Rudy gave away all but three. The very next morning one rabbit was pulling fur to build a nest. Rudy and Tootsie went into rabbit raising. Here in the country, if you want to keep them safe from varmints, you usually keep them in the nice safe rabbit hutch or cage. As the rabbits multiplied, he built more hutches. Finally, the rabbits out-produced him, and he let some loose. That was the year Rudy made his garden fence rabbit-proof.
Around here, we have a lot of predators who appreciate a tasty meal of rabbit: hawks, owls, bobcats, cougar, coyote and bear. One year a bobcat came around; she took all but 11 rabbits for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Later a big old black bear paid several visits, as ornery and crazy as he could be. Our dog, Teddy always let us know when he was around. He came once about 10 p.m. and again at 4 a.m. for three nights in a row. He could smell the apples and vegetables in our utility room—and was determined to get in. During this time he destroyed the hutches and slaughtered at least half of the rabbits. The other half got away. Mr. Bear returned again -- and now he's the living room rug, but that's another story. Anyway, the bunnies that had escaped from the bear were used to being fed and housed and life outside, especially in the winter, was very hard. Most didn't survive the winter. However, some did, and since that time we have had "wild" bunnies here. Now the bunny population, sheltering under the cabins in the winter and fed day-old bread by our guests, young and old alike, is usually strong and wary enough to evade the occasional predator.
We ask that any pet you bring with you be kept on a leash when it is outside, to protect the bunnies. They are not pets, and are not willing to be picked up or cuddled. They have been known to bite a persistent youngster's hand, so please supervise your children. They do a big job around here, keeping the grass trimmed and everyone entertained!
babybun.jpg
Living as they do, wild on our premises, we are often called on by guests to come to the aid of an orphaned baby bunny or tend to an injured animal. Here's a recent patient, seemingly well on the road to recovery.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
AHHH HOW CUTE I throw all my veggie scrapes out by the shed to keep the bunnies from helping themselves to my garden

Reaction score
I haven't thought about doing it lately, though this thread has just reminded me! I occasionally put their poop in the garden. I have 3 pet rabbits so I have plenty of bunny poop!

I also have pet ducks, their poop certainly makes my grass greener! :D

Reaction score
I raise them for meat, there was a time when I had about 20 young bunnies, THAT was a lot of poop!

Reaction score
Loved reading through this bunny thread, such cute creatures. I don't have any myself, but I do have four goats and all their poop and bedding from their shed goes straight on my garden to raise, improve and fertilize the soil. Seems to be working.

Ask a Question